AWS vs Digital Ocean

So I have digital ocean currently and I’m looking to host email with AWS no longer using Office 365 which is better for hosting discourse I would like to have everything on one platform would it be harder to set everything up like my static domain and stuff like that

If you use AWS LightSail it will be very similar to the Digital Ocean offering (albeit slower than DO in our tests).

If using AWS EC2, there will be a learning curve, as you will have to deal with Security Groups, Elastic IPs, and AWS specific stuff.

2 Likes

Thanks I’ll just stick with DO for now thanks for the advice cause I was looking into EC2 I believe

FWIW, I’m working with someone now who’s spent an hour (so far) trying to spin up an EC2 instance. The most recent thing they’ve said:

The site’s been down since yesterday trying to get AWS figured out.

If you’re asking if you should move to AWS, the answer is probably no. :wink:

3 Likes

AWS principles are definitely more involved. It begins to make sense when you realise that their servers are in private networks by default, they don’t assume that every server you connect is going to need to face the internet.

It makes a lot of sense for more elaborate deployments, particilarly in terms of security. A lot of larger services employ multiple server roles where only a handful should be externally-accessible.

1 Like

It makes tons of sense. But most people don’t have that kind of sense. My point was that if you’re asking if it makes sense, the answer is probably that you don’t want to learn to have that kind of sense. :slight_smile:

Unless you don’t understand how it works and then just leave everything wide open in desperation trying to get it to work at all, thinking that you’ll fix the permissions on that wide-open whatever it was after you get it going. . .

Yeah, we’re not really the target market. It’s why DO is such a great fit for newcomers.

1 Like

These guys still don’t have the ec2 spun up and I’m afeared that when they do, it won’t have access to their PG server. :crying_cat_face:

EDIT: Turns out, they never figured out how to create a new instance and instead ended up running an OS upgrade on the Ubuntu 14.04 instance that they had already. It worked. :slight_smile:

1 Like

@pfaffman thanks I’ll just stick with digital ocean

1 Like