Babble - A Chat Plugin

Hi, can you add a feature to pin the chat window under the banner? Also, can you add a setting where the chat is open automatically by default?

Imgur

Kind of like this. Thank you!

1 Like

@Johnny_McIvor see Babble - A Chat Plugin - #416 by angus

3 Likes

canā€™t wait to see the end result of this. would be especially handy in my case if it was integrated into core discourse, as Iā€™ve been able to upgrade but not rebuild (due to some issue(s) that are seemingly way above my paygrade) and users on my site have been dying for a proper chatroom as of late.

11 Likes

Hey guys

thx for your effort maintaining the plugin. I think itā€™s a wise decision since there are chat platforms out there which not only make a better job but also integrate well with discourse.

I can only give a huge shoutout to @RGJ and @michaeld which built us an awesome Rocket Chat SSO plugin. Our users love it.

4 Likes

I believe that having an integrated chat is an essential feature to build community activity, so I read through this entire thread only to realize at the end that the current state is ā€œbrokenā€ but that there remains hope for a replacement. I wanted to post this to be sure I get updates as this thread is updated, and to tell anyone who might be working on this project how much their work will be appreciated!

7 Likes

Looking forward to it. Users frequently ask for chat, and it would be perfect to have a small, collapsible chat widget(s) at the bottom for private messages that stays open while browsing different pages (like on LinkedIn and Gmail), so that users stop asking for ā€œchatā€. But we wouldnā€™t want a group chat that anyone can view and join, because moderation would be too difficult. I donā€™t know if itā€™s possible to implement it like that with the option to not have any public chats, but that would be perfect. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

You select the thread ā€œiconā€ to set your notification level in Discourse.
thread-icon

2 Likes

Very much looking forward to this!

1 Like

My understanding is native chat is being worked on by the Discourse team. I am not sure that they will post to this thread when that feature is added, but itā€™ll certainly show up in the release notes. :smiley:

4 Likes

How are you so sure that native chat is being implemented? do you have a demo i can see? Is it going to be like Facebook messenger style quick chat?
Even forum sites like Quora have also added chat as their core functionality of the forum.

And it would be great if someone fixes this plugin so it works on latest discourse or discourse team should create a native realtime chat into the forum!

1 Like
8 Likes

Canā€™t wait for it to happen. We need a solid robust chat integration (in discourse core) to let our users chat with each other and also allowing anonymous users (logged out users) who visit the forum to also let them chat with each other anonymously. It will be super helpful feature in Discourse! We are waiting patiently!

6 Likes

I would not assume that anonymous chat is scoped to be a part of the chat feature theyā€™re working on. AFAIK Discourse does not work anonymously at all right now, and I believe the chat is intended to basically just be a realtime extension of existing Discourse interaction (with specialized UI/interaction for chat needs, of course).

9 Likes

Just wondering if any update on this ?

Really looking forward to this feature and will be happy to test out as soon as you think its ready :wink:

6 Likes

It is under active development. @erlend_sh will be able to provide more details.

10 Likes

We are testing it internally for now, tentatively aiming to be ready for some early-access testing on Meta by December. All chat-curious folks like yourself will be invited! :hugs:

17 Likes

Oh man, thatā€™s exciting. Can we get a ā€œChat Curiousā€ badge? :laughing:

6 Likes

Seconded on being ā€œchat curiousā€ - Iā€™ve been reading about possible integrations since creating a discourse forum and would love to integrate a chat/shoutbox!

5 Likes

Iā€™d love to beta test.

2 Likes

Same here. Babble was a good start, but I migrated to rocketchat. I look forward to getting back to native discourse for chat.

2 Likes