Babble - A Chat Plugin

Consider me more-than-curious.

Using Discourse as our intranet platform, an integrated chat would be awesome. Right now, I am “modding” the dm view/features to mimic something like a chat. Not a bad approach at all, for it gives you a lot of flexibility (chat for groups with several topics, 1:1 chats, many-to-many etc.)

That being said, a “way to simple” chat would be a problem. Is there something like a whitepaper, how it’s inteded to work?

3 Likes

I second this. I consider chat an important part of my community. It would be great to have a sense for the direction. Depending on that, I might decide to invest more time in rocketchat at the moment.

2 Likes

Any news regarding this?

1 Like
4 Likes

1+ for an Invitation

1 Like

That would be really interesting! Thank you for the great work!

1 Like

I’d be glad to test it as well.

1 Like

pssst: anyone who liked my post or replied with interest has been invited for testing :tada:

Those not yet invited can request membership here:

https://meta.discourse.org/g/chat-testers

16 Likes

Consider me: more-than-impressed.
This is looking gooood, thanks for the invite.
Is there a sound way/place to give feedback/report bugs?

2 Likes

@gdpelican I’ve just upgraded Discourse forum to latest version today.
With Babble plugin enabled —> show empty screen
but if commented out babble plugin in app.yml and rebuild —> forum runs normally

I believe this might a bug or issue with babble plugin. Will you be able to check?

2 Likes

Babble is no longer actively maintained and will almost certainly be problematic with your version of Discourse.

I’d recommend taking a look at this new, official plugin that’s in active development:

We use it and it works very well.

10 Likes