Badge granting triggers group membership

Initially posted about this here: Grant a badge for all members of a group

Thanks to @jtbayly for suggesting I post this in the feature category.

overview

A user is granted a new badge, this event triggers the user to be added to/removed from a group.

use cases

• You have a hidden category with bonus content that you want users to be able to “unlock” like easter eggs.
  • You have a “Getting Started” category that is only viewable by users in the “Beginners” group. After being granted the “Certified” badge, a user is automatically removed from the “Beginners” group and this category no longer shows up.

If you can imagine other use cases, please add them below as replies!

8 Likes

Is this an exact dupe of?

I still think it is a fantastic idea, but we do not have it slotted for any release.

6 Likes

With the exception of:

It looks to be, yes.

Not sure how much sense this would make. Losing sight of posts in an associated category would probably be quite confusing.

I think these use cases would be quite interesting :thinking:

Wow, yikes. Sorry for the double post. I did search around before posting but I definitely missed this. Happy to remove it.

Perhaps one nuanced difference is that I’d also like to see this work for a badge that is granted manually, say by a moderator, instead of automatically via badge queries. For example, we have a “feedback” badge that moderators can give out for really thoughtful posts; I’d love for this badge to “unlock” a flair badge (by adding them to a group). It seems like your approach (adding a mirror group) would cover this case as well. Though, the post focuses mostly on SQL triggered badges, so I thought it was worth mentioning.

2 Likes