Badge system in discourse

(Shreya Agarwal) #1

Hey all,

I wanted to introduce some kind of gamification in my community and point system and badges seem to be the way to go for it. But as far as I know, the point system is not available in discourse and only badge system has been available to customize.

I would love to hear from someone if there is some working way to include point system in the forum otherwise I would like to know more about badges and how to configure them and more ideas on new badges.

(Matt Palmer) #2

No, Discourse does not a built-in “reputation”-style points system, beyond the trust level system which is a core component of how Discourse minimises spam and unpleasantness, and encourages trusted users to participate in moderating the site. I’m sure a plugin could be written (or one or more might exist already) to provide that, if it’s important.

As for badges, there is a lot of existing information on badges, how to customise them, and how to define your own custom badges, here on meta. A search will unearth them.

(Mittineague) #3

Not really “points” in the usual sense, but there are “types”

In general, Bronze badges are relatively easy to get, Silver badges a bit more difficult, and Gold are the most difficult to get.

Within those types I guess you could put together “levels” something like
Bronze - some badge, level one
Bronze - some badge, level two
etc. if you wanted finer intervals.

When it comes to what criteria you could use for badges, it’s pretty much limited only by your imagination.

(Shreya Agarwal) #4

I think this will also do. But how to assign levels with badge type? I mean where to do it and how?

(Shreya Agarwal) #5

If I want to create new badge then their is no option to set triggers. How to enable it?

(Robert McIntosh) #6

You can read about this here: