Balance digest emails so posts from multiple categories are shown

Hi everyone,

I’ve posted this in #support assuming this feature may already be available, or available via plugin, but perhaps it should be in #feature instead.

I run a Discourse for some academic/open-source projects. Each project has its own category. One or two of these projects are significantly more popular than the others, so the digest emails almost exclusively feature posts from these one or two categories.

Is there a way to “balance” the digest emails so that at most 1 or 2 posts are can be shown for any given category? I would like to make sure that we’re able to give visibility to the less-well-known categories too, and they don’t get drowned out by the bigger projects.

Many thanks for any help!

Matt

Can people mute teh popular category if they don’t care about it? If you can do that, you’re golden.

Otherwise, I’m guessing (without actually looking at the code) that the algorithm pulls topics with the most likes/replies/views, so what you are asking is for a bunch of topics that dont’ seem very good to be the ones sent out in the digest.

Can people mute teh popular category if they don’t care about it? If you can do that, you’re golden.

Any one individual can. The concern I have is the defaults for newer members. I just don’t want one project to overshadow any others.

so what you are asking is for a bunch of topics that dont’ seem very good to be the ones sent out in the digest.

What I’m asking for specifically is something like a max_digest_posts_per_category option, e.g. if you rank all the topics with most likes/replies/views, the digest email will show these, but will filter this list first so that each category can only have, at most, N posts in this list.

Thanks for the reply @pfaffman!

2 Likes

Aha! I get it. Good idea

1 Like

If this feature doesn’t already exist then, shall we move this post to #feature instead? Just to get more eyes in case anyone else would find this feature useful too.

2 Likes

Bumping this issue in case there is any renewed interest, thank you.