Beta testing the Android mobile app

Interested in trying this one out.

A bit of feedback: I’ve never seen much importance in the notification badge count. It’s certainly something I can live without. It’s worth checking out how WhatsApp does notifications (this also ties in with the concept of updating one notification instead of sending multiple), since it shows a breakdown in the bottom of the number of notifications, such as “x messages from x chats”. Something like that here would fill the badge void in my opinion.

5 Likes

I’d like to try this out. Is it in the App Store? Do I need an invitation?

2 Likes

Please send me an invitation

Please I want to test this app on my Samsung J7 Android 6, Thanks!

OK … invites are out… we have something very cool in the pipeline: :slight_smile:

12 Likes

Looks great, can I also receive an invite? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Where do I send bug reports / feedback?

here in this topic is fine, I will collate everything into the top post.

Could I receive an invite to beta test? :slight_smile:

Issues:
Emoji are not translated in the notifications.
My custom SSO site needed to be added twice. Once to log in, then again to complete the addition process.

Features:
Add a ‘latest’ count as well as unread and new.
Ability to remove sites.

that is already there, swipe left :slight_smile:

not sure what we can do about latest, what do we count?

The Discourse website lists Latest, New and Unread counts, I guess just follow that?

yeah, but there is no count on “latest” what would I be counting?

• total topics on the website
  • unread + new
  • topics that changed since last visit

There is nothing to pick here.

There is a count on Latest on the webview, but I now see it’s just the addition of Unread and New :blush: Sorry!

Hi @sam could I have an invite to beta test the Android app please?

1 Like

Great to see android version available in short time. Nice work :thumbsup:

Here is my quick feedback

1. Everytime I open a notification item, It takes lot of time to load the page (atleast the perceived performance is slow in chrome tab). While it is acceptable to wait for the first page, it provides a bad UX for every notification link to take the same time to load. It appears to me the cache is not maintained across the pages in chrome tab.

2. After a notification page is read, the read status / badge has not changed immediately. Actually, It did work for some notifications then stopped working after a while.

3. It would be nice to have a dismiss notification feature to clear the notifications (atleast those which are read). Actually this is nice to have even in the web app.

4. During authorisation, the name of the app was shown as “Discourse - unknown”

5. If there is no chrome browser installed, can we show some error message about the need of Chrome Stable browser ? To me it closed the app.

Anyway, I was trying to build the mobile app from github code. Sorry I cannot send a pull request now. These are the small changes I have made to make it work.

"react-native-fetch-blob": "^0.9.4",

The above line was missing in the package.json.

After adding the above line with npm install, it properly created an apk. I could add a discourse site. But I was not able to connect to them.

The below exception was thrown

possible unhandled promise rejection undefined is not an object(evaluationg this.props.simulator)

I think it is originating from this part of the code

https://github.com/discourse/DiscourseMobile/blob/master/js/Discourse.js#L39

Anyway, I added the following to make the Alert work.

Alert,

https://github.com/discourse/DiscourseMobile/blob/master/js/Discourse.js#L7

2 Likes

I would like to test the app. I’m sending a PM with the Android account since it’s different from the email I use here :spy:

1 Like

I think some major thing would be using a heuristic to warm a custom tab, so the long load time on Android will be instant. That will be awesome!

Starting with a dumb heuristic: Warm the first one in the componentDidMount callback.

A, perceived, instant load on Android is a huge gain.

4 Likes

Great work discourse team! I’d love an invite :blush:

Yes indeed very good point, @sam if you want to read more : https://developer.chrome.com/multidevice/android/customtabs#warm-up chrome to make pages load faster

5 Likes