Beta testing the Android mobile app

thanks for the feedback, I just pushed two commits:

• I think react-native-fetch-blob (@sam can you confirm? couldn’t find where it would be used, but might be wrong), is not used anymore and some artefacts were still there, should be good now
  • import Alert
2 Likes

We can re-use this implementation:

https://github.com/dstaley/react-native-chrome-custom-tabs/blob/master/android/src/main/java/com/dstaley/ReactNativeChromeCustomTabs/CustomTabActivityHelper.java#L122

Another feature I’d like is to stack the notifications per server, after the second notification for a particular server, I just get a count of unread posts.

I shouldn’t but still can’t believe you need so much Java code to open a web page in decent time…

:laughing:

I guess you can always import this lib and hide the Java part. But since the app is already doing the custom tab work by hand, I don’t know.

yes I think we should use this package directly or fork it. It handles different cases (like if chrome is not on the phone) @sam your call :wink:

1 Like

I would love to be included in the beta! Please send invite :slight_smile:

I am also interested in app testing. Thanks.

Nope, I already looked into that package and it does not do what I want.

We explicitly do not offer any fallbacks, we simply do not support

• Random built in browser
  • Chrome beta
  • Chrome canary

If you want to any of those three, go for it, but you lose out on using the app.

Regarding warmup this is completely non-trivial.

The guideline by google is to warmup urls where there is a 50% chance a user will click on them.

• When looking at 20 notifications, there is no such chance
  • When looking at homepage with 1 site, there is a non-trivial chance user may just want to peak at counts and not visit site.

So, there is only 1 case where warmup would help and that is for the initial “auth” just after you add the site, but honestly its an edge case.

2 Likes

Sorry, but really I need to stay laser focused on supporting the beta builds I am publishing via https://hockeyapp.net/

I just sent you an invite so you are on the exact same page. I am not ready for notification stuff to be tested cause there are a bunch of edge cases I know need resolving that I will work on first.

Discourse Unknown is a simulator bug cause it does not have bluetooth, its actually a bug here.

React native fetch blob is removed from the repo, if there are any dangling refs we need to kill them.

Totally agree about presenting a better error for no chrome installed.

Btw, if you notice any simple issues dev wise please submit PRs, going to be cleaning up android a bunch today before doing another beta.

4 Likes

Invites are out, PM me if I missed you

2 Likes

Send me and invite too

I cleaned up the SSO login issues per:

https://github.com/discourse/discourse/commit/e6fcaadd456c1ac02c8d32e4e968577e683f8e65

In particular these now work as expected

• Connect → Login via google → authorize
  • Connect → Login via sso → authorize
5 Likes

One thing that I noticed, is that this app is removed from memory very fast. Other older apps stay for longer where I left then. No idea why tough.

I think this is default react native behavior on android, they like spinning everything down asap running a js engine is expensive.

Not sure how customizable this is.

2 Likes

ok, is the warming stuff a two step process?

• preloading a chrome tab
  • preloading an url in this chrome tab

I do agree I see no way to do the second one, but maybe we can do the first?

I think 99.9% of the time is around loading up all the resources, bringing up the control is super cheap. Try hardcoding “google.com” there to see how fast it can be.

Hi @sam please add me to beta invite of the Android app please.

I just installed on a Nexus 5X and added two sites including meta.

When I click on a site to load it, it doesn’t always work. No click appears to be registered.

I’ve experimented a bit and think that only empty space is working as a click target right now. It seems like the clicks do not register if you click on the site title or description.

Or… Hmm… Maybe that’s not the problem…

Could be that it is hypersensitive about what it is treating as the beginning of a swipe vs. a click…

1 Like

I think @joffrey_jaffeux had some fixes there that should help, next beta will probably be my Tuesday

5 Likes