Bottom of topic shows "There is 1 unread remaining" when there are actually 0 unread topics remaining

Was composing this followup:

This seems… to be fixed. I haven’t noticed these self-notifications for a week or so…

When I got a “See X new or updated topic” notification at the top of the Latest list, clicked it, and got more self-notifications. :-/

For the record, I updated threads in previously opened tabs, and landed back at my Latest list (my personal hompeage). No self-notifications.
When to New and back to Latest to check. self-notifications.

Began composing this update & got the blue “new or updated topic” notification in my still-open other window. Clicked it & :zap: bam :zap: self-notifications.

See this all the time on the half dozen Discourse sites I’m on although the numbers vary. Have even seen it here! :open_mouth:

And right when I need some “proof” this counter example came along.

Another example but as my previous two posts were merged I cannot add it directly. This one is from a certain Discourse installation.

Posting here because it seems related.
Topic list here on Meta says there are 168 new posts in the thread:

But most of them have been cleaned out, so there’s only one:

1 Like

I’ve reported this before too, but I was pointed to this post: :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I’m coming to the conclusion that this type of error is caused by using multiple systems to access the same Discourse install. I regularly switch between my desktop Mac and my MacBookPro when accessing varions Discourse incarnations (up to 12 at the moment reflecting my professional and hobbyist interests where I see this error on all of them) and Unread/New counts are never accurate. Wondering whether the serviceworker.js script is at fault and not coded to cope with such user behaviours.

For some time (over 6 months) I have been having this problem and these issues also (using windows 11 and edge browser (Version 113.0.1774.42 (Official build) (64-bit)) :

I initially thought it was from switching between my phone and pc but it continued after I stopped using the phone to access the forum.
I posted about it on the forum where it was occurring and it was suggested to try a different browser (der).

I have changed to Firefox browser (Version 113.0.1 64 bit) and all my issues with discourse forums have resolved.