Bounced emails not being detected

I’m trying to figure out how to get discourse to clean up email lists, specifically bounced emails. The site is using a private smtp server to send emails but the response is set to came back to a gmail address for POP access by discourse.

So I see bounced emails in the Received emails dashboard.

However under the Bounced emails dashboard, there’s nothing

When I look at the Discourse error logs, I do see that it’s detecting a bounced email

Email can not be processed: Email::Receiver::BouncedEmailError

Delivered-To: xxx.yyy@gmail.com
Received: by 2002:xxx:7022:911:xx:73:xxx:f96 with SMTP id xxx7csp1115046dlb;
Thu, 25 Jan 2024 12:03:33 -0800 (PST)
X-Google-Smtp-Source: AGHT+IEagzW8QOUgAyfOxU9wYaox/wuiL/wNqWhvftUB4uO/85r9H/55+FnfT6NrSTkLI5kfj+Vy
X-Received: by 2002:xxx:620a:4xxx:b0:xxxx:9265 with SMTP id br34-xxx8ba09265mr280168qkb.77.17062130xxx;
Return-Path: <>
Received: from xxx.com (xxx.com. [207.xxx.xxx.xxx])
by mx.google.com with ESMTPS id bi4-xxx0b00783c84e9ef8si590747qkb.206.xxx.01.xx.12.03xxx
for xxx.yyy@gmail.com
(version=TLS1_3 cipher=TLS_AES_256_GCM_SHA384 bits=256/256);
Received-SPF: none (google.com: xxx.com does not designate permitted sender hosts) client-ip=207.xxx.xxx.xxx;
Authentication-Results: mx.google.com;
dkim=pass header.i=@xxx.co.nz header.s=alpha header.b=biFVvXep;
arc=fail (signature failed);
spf=none (google.com: xxx.com does not designate permitted sender hosts) smtp.helo=xxx.com;
dmarc=pass (p=NONE sp=REJECT dis=NONE) header.from=xxx.co.nz
Received: from xxx.co.nz (xxx.co.nz [210.xxx.xxx.5x])
by xxx.com (Postfix) with ESMTP id 4DD66xxx8E3
for xxx@zzz.com; Thu, 25 Jan 2024 20:03:28 +0000 (UTC)
ARC-Message-Signature: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=zzz.com;
s=dkim; t=1706213008;
h=from:from:reply-to:subject:subject:date:date:message-id:message-id:
to:to:cc:mime-version:mime-version:content-type:content-type:
dkim-signature;

So the question is

1. Why isn’t discourse marking bounced emails as bounced and how do I correct this?

Discourse uses the reply_key to associate bounces with sent emails. When Discourse sends mail, it uses the reply_by_email_address value as the SMTP envelope sender.

You need to ensure your reply_by_email_address includes a {reply_key} so your instance can associate the bounces with the correct sent mail.

For instance, here on meta it’s set to incoming+%{reply_key}@meta.discoursemail.com and anything set to that address gets delivered to this instance.

1 Like

Thanks for the response. Unfortunately I’ve had to turn off the reply_key from the response to email because on our email relay server doesn’t recognize the + addressing. Is there any other option?

1 Like

Your email relay server shouldn’t matter, only the end server where the mailbox lies. Email localparts are opaque to any intermediate servers.

Is it not gmail as per:

I’m not sure if we have another mechanism to reliably detect bounces.

1 Like

Okay to clarify, the destination SMTP domain server which receives the bounced email doesn’t recognize the + addressing, so it only forwards emails based on the To field to the gmail address which is picked up by discourse via POP. That if the To field includes the reply_key then it won’t forward that email to the gmail account used by discourse.

So I can’t put the reply_key in the email address, can it put somewhere else? In the subject field or body or somewhere where discourse may be able to parse it?

It would help a lot if you wrote what you were actually using for settings, even anonymised slightly.

You might also want to look into setting alternative_reply_by_email_addresses.

I don’t believe so.

If possible, for your setup I’d recommend something like:

• set reply_by_email_address to inbound+%{reply_key}@forum.hostname
  • configure a mail server to receive email for forum.hostname and deliver it all to the.gmail.account@gmail.com

Here the intermediate mail server doesn’t need to understand plus-addressing, it just needs to forward on everything for the domain.

Absolutely

Email parsing setup:

Email sending setup:

• The email sent by Discourse goes from discourse@xxx.com via a dedicated domain SMTP server setup for discourse (using the discourse domain address).
  • Any replies or when email bounces back, the domain SMTP server forwards the email to discourse.xxxx@gmail.com. This domain SMTP server cannot recognize the + addressing, so if I include the reply_key in the reply to email address, it’ll get dropped by the domain SMTP server. I can only set rules to forward discrete/unique incoming email addresses.
  • The discourse forum then uses POP via GMail to access those forwarded replies/bounced emails and parses them.

Does this help?

I understand what you’re saying. Unfortunately due to a limitation of the SMTP server rules I cannot setup forwarding for sub domains, I can only configure it to forward unique To emails id’s.

However I have a clarification here - more like a discrepancy in how discourse appears to be working:

1. When a user replies to an email post, it comes in correctly - replies seem to work perfectly even without any {reply_key} explicitly configured anywhere (see the screenshots above)
  2. However, when an email gets bounced, Discourse categorizes it under Received rather than Bounced
  3. The error logs are showing that something in discourse recognizes that it’s a bounced email (see my first post error log). So if something in discourse is recognizing that it’s a bounced email, why doesn’t is show up under Bounced instead of Received?

So why is that when a user replies to a post it is processed correctly by discourse but not a bounced email (and there also appears to be a disconnect between the error logs and the dashboard for bounced emails). Am I missing something in the configuration?

I’ve also tried setting the reply by email address settings in discourse to discourse.xxx+%{reply_to}@gmail.com but then when the email gets delivered, gmail seems to think that the domain yyy.com (discourse SMTP domain) is trying to spoof the gmail domain and it ends up marking it as spam. It appears that setting a reply to domain different from the senders domain is triggering a DMARC and SPF failure.

ARC-Authentication-Results: i=1; mx.google.com;
       spf=softfail (google.com: domain of transitioning discussion.xxx+verp-b9c40db917ca04993dd3433cc9748518@gmail.com does not designate y.y.y.y as permitted sender) smtp.mailfrom=discussion.xxx+verp-b9c40db917ca04993dd3433cc9748518@gmail.com;
       dmarc=fail (p=NONE sp=NONE dis=NONE) header.from=yyy.com
Return-Path: <discussion.xxx+verp-b9c40db917ca04993dd3433cc9748518@gmail.com>

You’ve turned off find related posts with key (I hope you read the warning) thus Discourse is using the in-reply-to mail header to determine to which topic/post the reply should be referencing.

It can’t do that for bounces - Discourse needs to know the specific message which bounced and that information is only guaranteed to be in one spot - the To: address (which comes from the envelope-from address of the original message).

For this to work, when Discourse sends a message, it needs to receive the reply to the address from which it came. Discourse looks in the To: header for this (not the envelope-to).

is spoofing the gmail domain

If you want to send mail from a gmail address, you need to send it via their servers. But they don’t like that.

Doesn’t look like you’ve configured DKIM for yyy.com; you should do that. If you get that right, DMARC should pass.

2 Likes

Yes it’s configured and the email “sent” by discourse via the yyy.com SMTP server passes SPF, DKIM and DMARC without issues (atleast from the “Send test email” page in the admin console).

This issue is happening if I set a gmail address as the reply_by_email_address to a gmail.com address instead of the yyy.com address. Is there something I can do for this setup so that DMARC doesn’t fail when set to reply_by_email_address to a gmail address while keeping the outgoing server as yyy.com ?

Can it not parse the rest of the content/attachments in the bounced email to extract that information if it can’t what it need in the “obvious” place (or atleast provide an option in settings to do that with the necessary warnings about impersonation)

DMARC alignment fails since the reply_by_email_address is used as the envelope-from address in this situation.

Pretty much the only thing guaranteed to be intact on a bounce is the address.

Maybe the subject, but it would not be practical to put this information there.

I do see that some systems include the original message as an attachment… it’s theoretically possible that we could check bounces for an attachment to get more information if they exist.

If I’m understanding this correctly, the reply_by_email_address should be set in the reply-to field of the envelope sent by the Discourse (from yyy.com). So when the user replies, they reply to the reply-to email (gmail.com) rather than the original (yyy.com) address. So in the email response envelope, the from address should be the users email address and the to is the gmail.com address.

Why would the reply_by_email_address be used as the from address?

the reply_by_email_address is not used as the from address but the envelope-from, specifically so bounces work

Here’s an image that demonstrates how each address is used. The addresses themselves are specific to our hosting, but should be sufficient for an example.

notification_email: notifications@hs1.discoursemail.com
reply_by_email_address: incoming+%{reply_key}@hs1.discoursemail.com

A notification:

A replyable message:

2 Likes

Thanks. That’s super helpful.

So basically the reply_by_email_address is used in the from header so that it comes back to that email address if it bounces. And the same email address is also set on the reply-to header if replies by email are enabled.

So, if my understanding above is correct, then if discourse can have a separate setting (reply_to_email) for the reply-to header, then that would solve the issue for the DMARC failure. When using the yyy.com domain (taken from reply_by_email_address) for from while sending and gmail.com for the reply-to (taken from the a new reply_to_email setting). If the email bounces it will still be returned to the reply_by_email_address but if the user replies then it would go to reply_to_email.

That’s the SMTP envelope-from, not the From header. The From header is not used for bounces.

i.e. ① not ②:

To pass DMARC, either the SPF (which validates the envelope-from in combination with the sending IP) or DKIM (which validates the From and checksums fields of the message) have to align.

It sounds like the whole point of this exercise is to have a “pretty” reply-to address, that users reply to?

You want something like this?

envelope-from: outgoing+12309847801923840923502389423@yyy.com
…
To: user@contoso.com
Reply-to: my_sweet_forum+12309847801923840923502389423@gmail.com

You must have that envelope-from like so, or bounces will not work.

1 Like

Yes, that’s correct. The idea to have the envelope-from different from the reply-to.

Since the envelope-from domain and the sending IP match, the SPF should pass but at the same time the reply can go to GMail to process responses and if the email should bounce it’ll head back to the original domain server which can then forward the bounce back to the GMail inbox as well.

It would actually look like this:

envelope-from: outgoing@yyy.com
…
To: user@contoso.com
Reply-to: my_sweet_forum+12309847801923840923502389423@gmail.com

In my setup the outgoing won’t have a VERP because my incoming SMTP doesn’t support VERP (i.e. the bounce back won’t have a VERP address), that’s why the reply-to is being sent to GMail because it supports VERP. This shouldn’t cause a DMARC failure as it does right now.