Broken layout on user's hidden profile page

Hello, I’m from https://blenderartists.org/

I’ve just noticed that if you would try to open a private user’s profile in a new tab, it will show a broken layout, sometimes with repeating the same fields twice or more times (seems like a repeated cyclic loop). It wasn’t like that before the Discourse’s recent update.

Example:

Steps to reproduce the bug:

1. Open someone’s hidden profile in a new tab. Not just clicking on it by LMB, but to open it a new tab, by clicking your mouse wheel.
  2. Here it is.

Sometimes it may even say that the page stopped responding.

Thank your for your attention.

1 Like

Hello Sergey, welcome! :wave:

It looks like there is an issue with the Clickable Social Icon Links on Profile component, in this situation.

Browser console

Specifically here: https://github.com/weallwegot/discourse-social-links-clickable/blob/master/common/head_tag.html#L146

The author seems inactive.
Let me fork the component, and see if I can fix it. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hello, @Arkshine

Thank you for your quick response!

I’m new here and it might sound stupidity, but I just didn’t find the answer on my question during the registration on this website, so I wanted to ask if you mind: is it free to have an account on meta.discourse.org? I know that Discourse it’s a paid CMS itself, so that’s why I’m asking.

Thanks in advance.

2 Likes

Hi @Goorman :wave: welcome to Meta :slight_smile:

It is most definitely free to join Discourse Meta :discourse:

Nice catch! I was just having a look over there but hadn’t got that yet.

2 Likes

Hi, @Lilly, thank you for the answer!

By saying “definitely” you meant that there are still some paid offers like buying a hosting and so on, is that right?

1 Like

No you don’t have to buy or pay anything at all. You can even just be a person who is interested in Discourse and has questions or wants more info. There are no catches or strings here.

3 Likes

Oh, thank you very much. Since am not a native speaker, sometimes, it is difficult for me to understand some of the sentences’ parts.

1 Like

We do offer hosting and we have partner organizations who also provide support and Discourse hosting services. For example, Discourse Hosting, Literate Computing or Communiteq. But no obligation to join this forum. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Yes, that’s what I’m actually decided to ask such a question. I’ve just seen some paid offers and even though I’ve created an account with no any charges, but decided to ask about that anyway. Once again, I do apologize for this goofy asks if so. :see_no_evil:

Worth saying that Discourse is not a “paid CMS”.

Discourse is a free and open source forum software. You can download the software for free and run it from your house, and we even have written guides for it Discourse on a Raspberry Pi | Blog. The same way you can run it internally at your school or company, and it’s all free.

We do offer paid hosting, as there are many people who need a forum and need high availability or other requirements where it makes sense to outsource it to a professional service.

2 Likes

I’ve made a PR on the official component. Let’s see if it will be merged. :slight_smile:

If, for some reason, the author is not responsive, disable the component, then you can install my fork instead:

• ÙRL: https://github.com/Arkshine/discourse-social-links-clickable.git

Note: you will have to reapply your settings if you made changes.

5 Likes

Nice work my friend! :slight_smile: :clap:

2 Likes

@Falco, thank you! Frankly, I didn’t even know about that. I used to think that Discourse it’s a paid platfrom :slight_smile: I’ve been dealing with WordPress since 2012 and kinda got used to an open-source platforms where you have the ability to change everything you would ever wanted.

I have sent the link to this thread on blenderartists.org to let others know about that, since I am just a regular user there :slight_smile:

@Arkshine
@Falco
@Lilly

Once again, thank you all, guys! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Yeah, we kinda get that a lot nowadays :sweat_smile:

Discourse itself is modeled after Wordpress explicitly, and here you also have the ability to change everything you ever wanted.

That said, since web development moved away from every page being a single scriplet into web frameworks, and with heavily customized Wordpress instances becoming security nightmares, for Discourse we adopted a model where changes are shipped as plugins and themes, so while you still may need to do some work during updates, you can technically build a plugin on top of our existing extensibility interfaces and make it more robust and a little less of a headache for updates.

3 Likes

I remember the time when people were creating websites pages in Microsoft Word :smiley: Those were the days.

P.S. Still reminisce of that “convex” design, where all the buttons used to have their shadows and all that stuff :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@weallwegot thanks for merging the fix! :+1:

@Goorman if you are still using the official component, you can update it now!

1 Like

Hello, @Arkshine

Thanks for letting me know! Since I am not the owner of Blenderartists.org, I’ll tell the moderator about that in there.

Thanks once again :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@bartv, hey man :slight_smile:

I have recently opened a thread about an issue related to a hidden user’s profile and it’s just been fixed. @Arkshine said that you would need to update some module from your side.

Good time of day, @Arkshine!

First of all, thank you for your effort with solving that problem, but it seems like it hasn’t been fixed anyway :frowning: An issue still remains. I have asked Bart to check that from his end and it’s still the same.

P.S. The theme component has been updated.

Hi Sergey!

I checked out your forum; I can see the error, but the component on your forum has not been updated yet (it doesn’t sound like a cache issue and you are not using a CDN). :thinking:

2 Likes