Broken pull down to reload in Android Chrome

Continuing the discussion from Scroll position issue for topic with 1 unread post:

A recent commit broke pull down to refresh in Android Chrome.

It was working in 790c5facc946bd35f569afca3a23241c205c8693, so it’s a change in the last month.

3 Likes

ah, that was this

https://github.com/discourse/discourse/commit/5f133e20f2bf0b051006396eb03f9fed95094b29

The reasoning was that the pull to refresh feature can accidentally cause reloads when someone is scrolling up a topic on a slow connection (so the posts aren’t loading fast enough). Fine reverting this if it’s causing issues or there’s a problem with overriding the default browser behavior, it’s currently only supported by Chrome on Android anyway.

3 Likes

:thinking:

I just went to HelloForos in a topic with 1.700 replies, went to the last one, and scrolled top furiously for 400 posts or so.

I never triggered pull down to refresh.

Maybe this only happens when you are indeed in a bad connections, but I’m note sure this is a valid case to override the default browser behavior.

We have a complete valid reason to override the find shortcut and people complain all the time already.

3 Likes

Maybe this only happens when you are indeed in a bad connections, but I’m note sure this is a valid case to override the default browser behavior.

True, the PR asking to implement it was the first I’ve heard someone complain. I was able to reproduce it on a slow connection, but I removed it for now, might not be that big of an issue in practice.

4 Likes