I have a simple need for a forum/discussion platform for the features listed below. So far, I’ve found Wordpress + BBPress + MemberMouse to be adequate, but I really like some of Discourse’s functionality.
Therefore, is it possible to create a Discourse forum with the following:
- Private forum for paid members (managed by Membermouse with custom dev, or Memberful)
- Private Thread automatically created for each new User between the User and Administrator (Admin will be able to see dozens of these Threads, but each User will only see their private Thread between themselves and the Admin)
- Members-only Forum/Threads - This content will be available to all logged-in members and use the great features of Discourse
- A simple mobile app - Discourse Hub (both iOS and Android) seems to solve this, although I don’t love that the Session can be closed by hitting “Done”. I would prefer a dedicated mobile app and would pay a reasonable fee for its development or white labeling.
- Handle hundreds of users - As the site grows, I anticipate less than 1,500 total lifetime users. My understanding is that Discourse can scale to thousands of users without issue, so this is likely non sequitur.
I lean towards Membermouse as the membership management plugin in order to provide 1-click upsell functionality. Memberful offers a native Discourse integration, but lacks this important feature.
Lastly, I’m not sold I need Wordpress for this community. I have experience with Wordpress and the rest of my sites run on WP. That said, Wordpress + Discourse + Membermouse might be overkill. In the end, I simply want a forum I can design attractively and handle the features.
Thank you for any feedback or insights you can share!