Can I import users and conversations from Yammer

Hi All,

I run a technical community in the UK and we run our conversations on Yammer, but I am looking to move that to Discourse going forward.

Has anyone managed to do a user and conversation export from Yammer and import to Discourse, so that I do not lose our existing conversations?

Thanks

Not aware of any yammer imports off the top of my head, but first things first. You need to get some sort of backup off yammer.

1 Like

I should be able to get the data export, either from the toolset or I can wrote a quick export utility that uses the API.

Is there a ā€œimport schemaā€ that I could use to make it import ready?

Not really, we have a base importer that does lots of heavy lifting, you would need to write about 100-500 lines of Ruby to create a new importer.

1 Like

That was my thinking. If I process my export to fit the data model of the base importer, then jobs a good 'Un.

1 Like

Afaik, 3 years later, still no Yammer importer

4 Likes

Rats! Iā€™d really like one as there are 3 Yammer networks that I would love to import. I guess that if someone wants one badly enough they will just have to write it themselves.

If you have a budget, I can help. See Discourse Migration ā€“ Literate Computing, LLC for some basic information on imports.

2 Likes

It feels churlish not to at least ask if thereā€™s a Yammer importer 6 years later. :slight_smile: Anyone?

Thereā€™s an open PR with a couple of unresolved issues:

3 Likes

Cā€™mon @pfaffman, you are so close!!!

Thanks for your help with the import by the way - still reaping the rewards from it.

2 Likes

Well, it doesnā€™t feel very close.

Iā€™ll try to put another hour into it.

3 Likes

I see this was merged Jan 2023. @pfaffman Was this working in the end then?

1 Like

I believe so. Have you tried it?

Weā€™re running enterprise so sadly not yet, but Iā€™ve also reached out to the team to see if thevā€™re used it recently. I wouldnā€™t be surprised if Microsoft made nasty changes since the last update to the importer.

If I can get my hands on our database in the next week or so Iā€™ll see if we can give this a whirl and provide feedback accordingly :slight_smile:

So, just an update from our side: I think sadly weā€™re going to give the importer a miss.

Itā€™s about 80 hrs to migrate manually, the team think there might be a bit of work needed on the importer, plus aligning with purchasing and legal internally would ultimately result in little benefit for us. Plus getting hold of the DB from IT isnā€™t exactly straightforward :confused:

1 Like

The idea that 80 hours and migrating manually easier is ā€œeasierā€ is quite funny indeed, but I guess I can see how wrangling IT, legal, and purchasing is much harder than updating a script.