Cannot update text for js.composer.error.post_length

I’m trying to update text for js.composer.error.post_length. Experiencing this on 2.9 and 3.1.0.beta2, on production, staging and in my local environment.

On FE it shows [missing {{min}} value] although value has been set.

Error log says:

NoMethodError (undefined method `scan' for {:one=>"Post must be at least %{count} character", :other=>"Post must be at least %{count} characters"}:Hash keys = text.scan(pattern) ^^
NoMethodError (undefined method `scan' for {:one=>"Post must be at least %{count} character", :other=>"Post must be at least %{count} characters"}:Hash

keys = text.scan(pattern)
               ^^^^^)
lib/i18n/i18n_interpolation_keys_finder.rb:6:in `find'
app/models/translation_override.rb:123:in `check_interpolation_keys'
app/models/translation_override.rb:64:in `upsert!'
app/controllers/admin/site_texts_controller.rb:88:in `update'
app/controllers/application_controller.rb:414:in `block in with_resolved_locale'
app/controllers/application_controller.rb:414:in `with_resolved_locale'
lib/middleware/omniauth_bypass_middleware.rb:74:in `call'
lib/content_security_policy/middleware.rb:12:in `call'
config/initializers/100-quiet_logger.rb:20:in `call'
config/initializers/100-silence_logger.rb:29:in `call'
lib/middleware/missing_avatars.rb:22:in `call'
lib/middleware/turbo_dev.rb:31:in `call'

Backtrace

lib/i18n/i18n_interpolation_keys_finder.rb:6:in `find'
app/models/translation_override.rb:123:in `check_interpolation_keys'
activesupport (7.0.4) lib/active_support/callbacks.rb:400:in `block in make_lambda'
activesupport (7.0.4) lib/active_support/callbacks.rb:199:in `block (2 levels) in halting'
activesupport (7.0.4) lib/active_support/callbacks.rb:687:in `block (2 levels) in default_terminator'
activesupport (7.0.4) lib/active_support/callbacks.rb:686:in `catch'
activesupport (7.0.4) lib/active_support/callbacks.rb:686:in `block in default_terminator'
activesupport (7.0.4) lib/active_support/callbacks.rb:200:in `block in halting'
activesupport (7.0.4) lib/active_support/callbacks.rb:595:in `block in invoke_before'
activesupport (7.0.4) lib/active_support/callbacks.rb:595:in `each'

Env

HTTP HOSTS: 127.0.0.1:3000
2 Likes

That string was changed back in 2021. It uses %{count} instead of %{min} and has been converted into a pluralized string (one, other).

You can fix your customized string by going to Customize → Text:

• Search for “js.composer.error.post_length”
  • click “edit”
  • click “revert changes” and confirm the question with “yes”
  • click “back to search”
  • Search for “js.composer.error.post_length”
  • You will see 2 results, customize both strings if you wish
4 Likes

I wonder, could we build error handling that falls back to English in these cases and logs something?

3 Likes

For some reason I couldn’t get this to work, the confirmation dialog was not opening because JS error ‘get_attributes’, the dialog element was null.

But then I turned the safe-mode, check if it was working and everything was updated automatically. I turned off safe-mode, went back to my theme and again, all was working as intended.

So safe-mode fixed it I guess. And there is no more JS error mentioned above. (Should have tried with safe-mode in the first place, smh).

Thanks for your help!

2 Likes