Can't change mail address on Meta

I’m trying to change my mail address from info@mydomain.ext to mail@mydomain.ext but I get the error that the address is in use already. But it’s not… I checked with a lost password link.

3 Likes

Hmm any ideas here @zogstrip ? Is this a staged account?

4 Likes

Ah yes, it must be. I replied from my new address in the last few weeks and got an notification error in the mail of course. But I never got to change the address.

But then again: this is a real case. A user changes address, replies to a Discourse mail before changing the mail address on Discourse and then: you’re stuck.

Solution: when user changes mail to existing TL0 address:

• first have user confirm the new address
  • remove TL0 user and replace address

Another solution: don’t create a TL0 user when it’s a reply to a discourse+{key}@domain.ext address from an unknown sender.

1 Like

I think staged accounts which are not used (for email replies) should be auto deleted eventually maybe after 30 days of inactivity? What do you think @zogstrip?

4 Likes

The bug here is that it should still allow you to change emails to a staged account email if you confirm it, and then merge the 2. I have seen quite a few “dupe” accounts over the past few weeks.

• Change email
  • Confirm new email
  • If it belongs to a staged account take over all content

deleting is not ideal cause it does not resolve the case where the staged account actually has content.

5 Likes

Account merging seems like a giant thing to bite off this close to release. Not recommended.

1 Like

We can wait till next release on this, no rush

1 Like

Perhaps one obvious thing to do is provide more info in the error in the login dialog @zogstrip, say that it is a staged account matching that user so we have the info in the error message UI versus a “real” user who conflicts. Staged users are basically stubs (or “mocks”, for @sam) of real users :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Done :champagne:

https://github.com/discourse/discourse/commit/afacc70fbeb01f589ff246b1e19d966f53039462

1 Like

I think it should be simpler here, because the account being merged is guaranteed to have no bio, no avatar, no preferences, just posts, right?

5 Likes