Can't restore backup with images on S3

Unfortunately this does not work. I have 10 full backs ups and I can’t restore any of them, they’re all giving me the same errors:

Reconnecting to the database...
Reloading site settings...
Disabling outgoing emails for non-staff users...
Disabling readonly mode...
Clearing category cache...
Reloading translations...
Remapping uploads...
Restoring uploads, this may take a while...
Migrating uploads to S3 for 'default'...
Uploading files to S3...
 - Listing local files
 => 5 files
 - Listing S3 files
.. => 1911 files
 - Syncing files to S3
Updating the URLs in the database...
Removing old optimized images...
Flagging all posts containing lightboxes for rebake...
285 posts were flagged for a rebake
EXCEPTION: 509 of 1823 uploads are not migrated to S3. S3 migration failed for db 'default'.
/var/www/discourse/lib/file_store/to_s3_migration.rb:132:in `raise_or_log'
/var/www/discourse/lib/file_store/to_s3_migration.rb:79:in `migration_successful?'
/var/www/discourse/lib/file_store/to_s3_migration.rb:373:in `migrate_to_s3'
/var/www/discourse/lib/file_store/to_s3_migration.rb:66:in `migrate'
/var/www/discourse/lib/file_store/s3_store.rb:328:in `copy_from'
/var/www/discourse/lib/backup_restore/uploads_restorer.rb:62:in `restore_uploads'
/var/www/discourse/lib/backup_restore/uploads_restorer.rb:44:in `restore'
/var/www/discourse/lib/backup_restore/restorer.rb:61:in `run'
script/discourse:149:in `restore'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.7.0/gems/thor-1.2.1/lib/thor/command.rb:27:in `run'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.7.0/gems/thor-1.2.1/lib/thor/invocation.rb:127:in `invoke_command'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.7.0/gems/thor-1.2.1/lib/thor.rb:392:in `dispatch'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.7.0/gems/thor-1.2.1/lib/thor/base.rb:485:in `start'
script/discourse:290:in `<top (required)>'
/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/2.7.0/gems/bundler-2.3.13/lib/bundler/cli/exec.rb:58:in `load'
/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/2.7.0/gems/bundler-2.3.13/lib/bundler/cli/exec.rb:58:in `kernel_load'
/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/2.7.0/gems/bundler-2.3.13/lib/bundler/cli/exec.rb:23:in `run'
/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/2.7.0/gems/bundler-2.3.13/lib/bundler/cli.rb:483:in `exec'
/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/2.7.0/gems/bundler-2.3.13/lib/bundler/vendor/thor/lib/thor/command.rb:27:in `run'
/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/2.7.0/gems/bundler-2.3.13/lib/bundler/vendor/thor/lib/thor/invocation.rb:127:in `invoke_command'
/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/2.7.0/gems/bundler-2.3.13/lib/bundler/vendor/thor/lib/thor.rb:392:in `dispatch'
/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/2.7.0/gems/bundler-2.3.13/lib/bundler/cli.rb:31:in `dispatch'
/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/2.7.0/gems/bundler-2.3.13/lib/bundler/vendor/thor/lib/thor/base.rb:485:in `start'
/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/2.7.0/gems/bundler-2.3.13/lib/bundler/cli.rb:25:in `start'
/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/2.7.0/gems/bundler-2.3.13/exe/bundle:48:in `block in <top (required)>'
/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/2.7.0/gems/bundler-2.3.13/lib/bundler/friendly_errors.rb:103:in `with_friendly_errors'
/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/2.7.0/gems/bundler-2.3.13/exe/bundle:36:in `<top (required)>'
/usr/local/bin/bundle:25:in `load'
/usr/local/bin/bundle:25:in `<main>'
Trying to rollback...

Why is this happening? I’ve seen many folks report the issue but there’s no solution that I’ve come across as yet. Backup and restore is a very fundamental need.

2 Likes

(I’m cleaning up the replies to the other topic so that they can be cleared out. It’s not clear that you got this resolved, so I didn’t want to delete it.)

Did you get this resolved?

It has to do with the fact that it’s trying to upload images to S3 and/or assure that they are all there and they are not.

A solution I think I’ve seen is to turn off upload to S3 during the restore and then turn it back on.

1 Like

Yes, the entire solution was posted here

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.