Can't start development instance-- renice: failed to set priority

I don’t know what might have changed since the last time I cranked up this dev instance, but now it’s failing like this:

Sidekiq client with Sidekiq::RedisConnection::RedisAdapter options {:host=>"localhost", :port=>6379, :namespace=>"sidekiq"}
Sidekiq client with Sidekiq::RedisConnection::RedisAdapter options {:host=>"localhost", :port=>6379, :namespace=>"sidekiq"}
I, [2023-05-17T13:31:56.328911 #1103707]  INFO -- : worker=0 ready                                                           
I, [2023-05-17T13:31:56.330855 #1103710]  INFO -- : worker=1 ready                                                         
Loading Sidekiq in process id 1103706                                                                                        
/home/pfaffman/src/discourse-repos/discourse/lib/discourse.rb:137:in `exec': renice: failed to set priority for 1103706 (proc
ess ID): Permission denied                                                                                                   
/home/pfaffman/src/discourse-repos/discourse/lib/discourse.rb:171:in `execute_command'   
/home/pfaffman/src/discourse-repos/discourse/lib/discourse.rb:137:in `exec'                                             
/home/pfaffman/src/discourse-repos/discourse/lib/discourse.rb:33:in `execute_command'                                
/home/pfaffman/src/discourse-repos/discourse/lib/demon/sidekiq.rb:51:in `after_fork'
/home/pfaffman/src/discourse-repos/discourse/lib/demon/base.rb:155:in `block in run'                            
/home/pfaffman/src/discourse-repos/discourse/lib/demon/base.rb:151:in `fork'
/home/pfaffman/src/discourse-repos/discourse/lib/demon/base.rb:151:in `run'                                                  
/home/pfaffman/src/discourse-repos/discourse/lib/demon/base.rb:146:in `start'                                   
/home/pfaffman/src/discourse-repos/discourse/lib/demon/base.rb:14:in `block in start'                                        
/home/pfaffman/src/discourse-repos/discourse/lib/demon/base.rb:14:in `times'                                               
/home/pfaffman/src/discourse-repos/discourse/lib/demon/base.rb:14:in `start'                                                 
/home/pfaffman/src/discourse-repos/discourse/config/unicorn.conf.rb:89:in `block in reload'                                  
/home/pfaffman/.asdf/installs/ruby/3.2.2/lib/ruby/gems/3.2.0/gems/unicorn-6.1.0/lib/unicorn/http_server.rb:541:in `spawn_missing_workers'                                                                                                                 
/home/pfaffman/.asdf/installs/ruby/3.2.2/lib/ruby/gems/3.2.0/gems/unicorn-6.1.0/lib/unicorn/http_server.rb:143:in `start'
/home/pfaffman/.asdf/installs/ruby/3.2.2/lib/ruby/gems/3.2.0/gems/unicorn-6.1.0/bin/unicorn:128:in `<top (required)>'
/home/pfaffman/src/discourse-repos/discourse/bin/unicorn:96:in `load'                
/home/pfaffman/src/discourse-repos/discourse/bin/unicorn:96:in `block in <main>'    
/home/pfaffman/src/discourse-repos/discourse/bin/unicorn:95:in `fork'                                           
/home/pfaffman/src/discourse-repos/discourse/bin/unicorn:95:in `<main>'                                                      
I, [2023-05-17T13:31:56.356176 #1103713]  INFO -- : worker=2 ready                                                         
E, [2023-05-17T13:31:56.452446 #1103437] ERROR -- : reaped #<Process::Status: pid 1103706 exit 1> worker=unknown             
Detected dead worker 1103706, restarting...                                                                                  

And I did the only other thing I could think of: reboot. :shrimp: (the person shrugging emoji seems to be missing–and I just rebooted–I guess they’re trying to try out the new font awesome icons–so here’s a shrimp.)

3 Likes

I’m still confused on this one. I commented out this line in lib/demon/sidekiq.rb:

#Discourse::Utils.execute_command("renice", "-n", "5", "-p", Process.pid.to_s)

That line’s been there for 4 years and it worked the last time I cranked this up. I don’t know what might have changed. Kernel upgrade, maybe? But that doesn’t make sense either.

An update to the docker image could have included an update to utilities such as renice. Or some kind of policy update within the container might have got in the way, if for example different UIDs are used for different processes in different ways. Or possibly the base priority has changed so the renice is now trying to increase priority, which it can’t do.

This is for a dev instance on Linux, not in the container. Seems strange that I’m the only one, but I’m often able to do silly things that no one else thinks of.

1 Like

Ah, sorry - I have no experience with dev instances.

2 Likes

Same here. I found the same problem just a few hours ago on my local Kubernetes.

E, [2023-07-27T13:09:27.525053 #74] ERROR -- : reaped #<Process::Status: pid 456 exit 1> worker=unknown
Detected dead worker 456, restarting...
/var/www/discourse/lib/discourse.rb:137:in `exec': renice: failed to set priority for 483 (process ID): Permission denied
/var/www/discourse/lib/discourse.rb:171:in `execute_command'
/var/www/discourse/lib/discourse.rb:137:in `exec'
/var/www/discourse/lib/discourse.rb:33:in `execute_command'
/var/www/discourse/lib/demon/sidekiq.rb:51:in `after_fork'
/var/www/discourse/lib/demon/base.rb:155:in `block in run'
/var/www/discourse/lib/demon/base.rb:151:in `fork'
/var/www/discourse/lib/demon/base.rb:151:in `run'
/var/www/discourse/lib/demon/base.rb:146:in `start'
/var/www/discourse/lib/demon/base.rb:132:in `ensure_running'
/var/www/discourse/lib/demon/base.rb:31:in `block in ensure_running'
/var/www/discourse/lib/demon/base.rb:31:in `each'
/var/www/discourse/lib/demon/base.rb:31:in `ensure_running'
config/unicorn.conf.rb:243:in `master_sleep'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/3.2.0/gems/unicorn-6.1.0/lib/unicorn/http_server.rb:295:in `join'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/3.2.0/gems/unicorn-6.1.0/bin/unicorn:128:in `<top (required)>'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/3.2.0/bin/unicorn:25:in `load'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/3.2.0/bin/unicorn:25:in `<main>'