Categories vs. tags

tagging

(Rob Nicholson) #1

Are there any articles or such on helping one build a new Discourse system around categories vs. tags? I’m sure I read somewhere that Discourse was initially designed around a very flat structure using tags to categorise topics. I can see where this thinking was coming from as tree structure categories can become a nightmare and put off new/casual users. However, I’m glad they were introduced if not for reason of allowing private categories.

My view though is that one should really try and keep the number of categories to as few as possible. Problem with CAMRA (the new Discourse system) is that there is a real tendency in the organisation to categorise everything into minute detail! Don’t get them started on the definition of craft beer :wink:

For example, they said “We need categories for every computer system we have”. There are at least 20 of these. I said "No, that’s unmanageable - keep it simple with something like “CAMRA systems with sub-categories of just support, development and implementation (users, users interested in new features and software developers”. Then get people to tag the question.

So I’m looking for counter arguments to category madness!

Later… I notice that tags are often disabled in this very forum??

Adding multiple categories to a topic
(Jeff Atwood) #2

See

To start

Adding multiple categories to a topic
(Rob Nicholson) #3

Thanks for that - I’ll move the discussion over there if it’s not too late to re-open that thread. Shows how important search is - the link supplied didn’t work, neither did the search on Vanilla (good site BTW) so here it is for reference:

https://blog.vanillaforums.com/news/6-common-mistakes-managing-your-community-­-part-2/

edit: link was fixed in original topic