Could categories and tags be the same thing?

I’ve mentioned this a few times over the past 8 or so months, after researching this forum and seeing ever increasing numbers of users wanting to utilise the flexibility of tags more in their forum, but running into issues as most of the main navigation plugins and components are developed for categories, and few have switched yet to support the new tags feature.

We could wait for all the plugin authors to modify their plugins (and as i mentioned above we are planning to do that for some in the next month or two). I propose instead a core solution which instantly upgrades all existing plugins and components by telling them to treat tags/tag-pages the same as categories.

This would significantly advance the usability of tags on Discourse for users, in a way that i suspect all additions will go anyway, just saving the users a months of years of waiting for the updates to support tags to come… and of course save all the plugin authors from a lot of work.

It could have a shortcode or toggle to remove it for any plugins which the authors do not want to support tags, although i cant think of any specifically. that toggle could also be available to users to toggle on or off so they can choose the behaviour of their add-ons.

here’s how we added it to @david’s discourse kanban

here’s a few examples of users wanting to use tags more but hitting limitations which would be solved by this. I pulled these from my recent comments, there are many more i found in past when looking:

5 Likes