Change SMTP settings in a working forum

Hello, just a quick question. It’s possible to edit SMTP email options on a working forum?
Rebuild command will wipe all forum content (threads, posts, users, design)? in the case that I edit app.yml

Thanks.

1 Like

Rebuild will not destroy any forum content as that’s stored in a persistent database file. It will stop/rebuild/start the app container, however, so your site will be down during the rebuild time.

4 Likes

Thank you @justin, if I decide to use Mailgun is the SMTP configuration similar to in Sendinblue?
In Sendinblue had to register, confirm. Go to Transactional emails, you see SMTP details like server, port, user and password. Used that information in Discourse installation and everything worked fine.

Or there’s additional configuration within Mailgun? Like configuring DNS/MX records?
Thanks.

1 Like

This howto gives a general understanding of the MailGun setup process. While it may not be the same for using Digital Ocean as a DNS provider, the general steps are very similar.

3 Likes

in containers/app.yml you can change these settings. Then ./launcher rebuild app

4 Likes

You will have to go to the directory where you cloned the Official Discourse Docker image.

If you followed the guidelines and typed the suggested directory /var/discourse when cloning the repository

git clone https://github.com/discourse/discourse_docker.git /var/discourse

then you will have to go to /var/discourse to run the rebuild app command. Otherwise, go to the different directory you chose.

cd is a command to change the current directory.

To run the rebuild app command if it’s located in the /var/discourse directory, type the following:

cd /var/discourse
./launcher rebuild app

Or if using another directory, type

cd <your chosen directory>
./launcher rebuild app

It’s not necessary to rebuild after changing SMTP details in the app.yml.

./launcher destroy app && ./launcher start app

Will suffice.

3 Likes

I don’t understand why is this not an admin setting. SMTP settings aren’t set in stone and can change overtime.

1 Like