Changing our logo to fit Discourse requirements?

Hi all, we recently started using Discourse for our game and we’re loving it. However, we hit a small snag with our logo, is it possible to make our logo bigger?

https://forum.monsterandme.net/

1 Like

You‘re logo seems to be the problem :wink:

How about redesigning it into another aspect ratio?

1 Like

We are using this. Is it not in the correct aspect ratio?

1 Like

In my POV, you’re logo is represented due to the centered objects (font / text and the „dragon/bird“ (?)). The face bubbles are additional design elements.

You’re „real“ logo has an square aspect ratio. This is incompatible with the default Discourse theme. I would suggest you, to crop it down or rearrange the elements.

Otherwise you’ll get in trouble with a header (with minimal functionality) that wastes a lot of screen space.

My suggestion is something like this…

4 Likes

Ok, thank you :slight_smile:.

1 Like

The central logo is taller than it is wide, making it difficult to use in horizontal elements. You could try this sort of layout:

:bird: M​onster&Me

All on same line, roughly the same height. It would also help if there wasn’t such a large discrepancy in line-height between the “M” and the rest of the title text.

The small details (butterflies and faces) also won’t do well at small sizes. You could consider using them elsewhere in your branding? Like maybe give Discobot the name/avatar of the old dude (assuming he’s the “Gandalf” of the group…)

3 Likes

“Good design” principles:

Rams introduced the idea of sustainable development and of obsolescence being a crime in design in the 1970s.[2] Accordingly, he asked himself the question: “Is my design good design?” The answer he formed became the basis for his celebrated ten principles. According to him, “good design”:[4][5]

1. is innovative – The possibilities for progression are not, by any means, exhausted. Technological development is always offering new opportunities for original designs. But imaginative design always develops in tandem with improving technology, and can never be an end in itself.
  2. makes a product useful – A product is bought to be used. It has to satisfy not only functional, but also psychological and aesthetic criteria. Good design emphasizes the usefulness of a product whilst disregarding anything that could detract from it.
  3. is aesthetic – The aesthetic quality of a product is integral to its usefulness because products are used every day and have an effect on people and their well-being. Only well-executed objects can be beautiful.
  4. makes a product understandable – It clarifies the product’s structure. Better still, it can make the product clearly express its function by making use of the user’s intuition. At best, it is self-explanatory.
  5. is unobtrusive – Products fulfilling a purpose are like tools. They are neither decorative objects nor works of art. Their design should therefore be both neutral and restrained, to leave room for the user’s self-expression.
  6. is honest – It does not make a product appear more innovative, powerful or valuable than it really is. It does not attempt to manipulate the consumer with promises that cannot be kept.
  7. is long-lasting – It avoids being fashionable and therefore never appears antiquated. Unlike fashionable design, it lasts many years – even in today’s throwaway society.
  8. is thorough down to the last detail – Nothing must be arbitrary or left to chance. Care and accuracy in the design process show respect towards the consumer.
  9. is environmentally friendly – Design makes an important contribution to the preservation of the environment. It conserves resources and minimizes physical and visual pollutionthroughout the lifecycle of the product.
  10. is as little design as possible – Less, but better – because it concentrates on the essential aspects, and the products are not burdened with non-essentials. Back to purity, back to simplicity.
2 Likes

Thanks for the replies but I was actually thinking about something like this: https://forum.ludia.com/

How are they doing that (their logo in the top middle of their forum and it’s also a lot bigger)?

2 Likes

Looks like they added some custom HTML & CSS to add their own logo and menu above the default elements:

CloudApp

The orange box is the new header they added, the red box is normal Discourse.

1 Like

Thanks, 1 final question, how do you add a description for your category? I accidentally deleted it and can’t seem to figure out how to readd it. (Talk about the description for the bugs and troubleshooting category) https://forum.monsterandme.net/

1 Like

Category description topics can’t be edited, there’s protection against this in the UI.

What happens if you open the category settings and hit the button to edit it from there?

No button.

How did your remove the topic?

I have no clue mate, this type of forum was very new to me so I was messing around with it quite a bit. Got most things figured out but can’t seem to figure out this description thing.

I’m surprised that nobody mentioned this sooner, but check out this theme component. It’s designed to accommodate larger logos:

There’s a demo of it here.

3 Likes

Have you been into the rails console at all? AFAIK the only way those posts can be removed is by directly manipulating the database, which is unsupported.

It may be quicker to create a new category, move all of the old posts across and then swap the names, particularly if you’re not familiar with the console.

1 Like

Did you rename “uncategorized” to Bugs and Troubleshooting? If you did, you will have this problem as that’s a special category. We added a bunch of protective text in the current beta to prevent people from doing this unknowingly.

2 Likes

No sir, we still have the Uncategorized category.

2 Likes