Changing Welcome Message

On our Discourse forum, we’re looking into changing our welcome message to a custom made one that reflects our community specifically. We were unaware that when Discobot came to be, the original welcome message changed to a “walk-through” of core Discourse functions.

I had a look through a few topics regarding altering the welcome message and found this link:

admin/customize/email_templates/system_messages.welcome_user

We swapped the old content for the new custom made content and whenever we create a new account, the Discobot message shows up, not the custom made message we inputted.

Surely there must be a way to set the welcome message to a static message instead of the dynamic Discobot message?

Assuming you’re referring to this message:

You should be looking for discourse_narrative_bot.new_user_narrative.hello.message to change the bot’s initial message.

5 Likes

Is that under the email templates tab?

No, text content. yoursite.com/admin/customize/site_texts

6 Likes

Thank you for your help! Our new welcome message is up and running. Appreciate it.

7 Likes

Hi Joshua. Can’t find it, maybe is that changed in recent versions of the platform?

Nope, the string is the same.
Try this

5 Likes

I did these changes. Is there any way for me to see the change and make sure that the changes are how we want them to be? I have an active admin account so I assume I cannot see that. I cannot sign up with a new email as we are limiting sign-ins to only as specific domain names. Our instance is hosted by discourse.

As an admin you can check the latest messages sent by Discobot visiting its profile.

4 Likes

Apologies for bumping an old thread, but is there a delay after updating the Welcome message? I’ve updated the text at discourse_narrative_bot.new_user_narrative.hello.message but it’s still pulling a welcome message from a different source.

Are you referring to existing welcome messages containing the same content, or new welcome messages for new user accounts sent after the text is updated?

Existing PMs won’t be updated by changing the text.

New welcome messages sent after the text has been updated, I’m checking via Discobot outbox.

The other strange thing is I can’t even find the exact source of the Welcome message text, could it be pulling from a narrative other than discourse_narrative_bot.new_user_narrative.hello.message?

I’ve just tried this on my test site, and editing discourse_narrative_bot.new_user_narrative.hello.message changed the text of the Greetings! message from Discobot when I signed up a new test user. It might be that you do have the wrong field. I think the best way to find the right field to edit is to copy a small piece of something distinctive from in the message and paste it into the search box. :+1:

There is another similar text field for the system welcome message system_messages.welcome_user.text_body_template which might be the one?

This topic has a good overview of some of the settings and messages in the onboarding flow that may give you some hints as to which other ones you could check:

5 Likes