Chat button on user card when user does not allow chat

AI-generated summary

The discussion is about the chat button on a user’s card when the user does not allow chat. Moin noticed that the chat button is missing on the user card in the /latest page, but it appears when viewing the user card inside a topic, even though chat is not allowed. jericson tried to reproduce the issue but couldn’t, and suggested that the user preference to turn off chat might be the cause.

Moin and Firepup650 tested this by having jericson disable chat for himself, but the chat button still appeared for them. Moin mentioned that the theme might not be the issue, as the problem occurs across different devices and themes.

The issue seems to be related to the filter option on the user card, as Moin and Firepup650 discovered that the chat button is not visible when the post filter is shown. Moin believes that a recent commit has fixed the issue, as the chat button is no longer visible even when the post filter is shown.

When I open the usercard on /latest, there is no chat button


But when I open it inside a topic there is a chat button though I’m still not allowed to send a chat message.

5 Likes

I can’t reproduce this. Now I see chat on nearly everyone in both /latest and in topics. The two exceptions I’ve found are:

For testing purposes, I’ve disabled chat for myself. Does that remove the button for you when you look at my profile?


  1. I have a Message button for everyone else that I’ve checked. Not sure what’s happening there. Kris doesn’t have either button anywhere that I can see. ↩︎

I still see both buttons for you within topics, as well as on /latest.

It does not. I can still send you a chat message.

I think you would have to use the setting at https://meta.discourse.org/my/preferences/users to disallow users sending you a message

@Moin What theme are you using by chance that it’s a theme issue?

Maybe caching? I noticed the chat icon disappeared shortly after I replied to your chat message.

High contrast light, meta branded depending on the device. But at both @awesomerobot does not have a chat button on the usercard at /latest or the mention here. But the button is visible for example when I click the profile picture here: DiscoTOC - automatic table of contents - #424

I used an incognito tab, logged in and still chat buttons on all your usercards

I think that toggle disables your chat, but doesn’t prevent you from getting new messages (Which seems like a separate issue)

Interesting, that’s certainly reproducible regardless of your theme. (I tried like 3)

I think it depends on the filter option on the usercard. But I did not check. (Same problem now as 2 days ago, it’s past midnight and sleeping is preferred to checking)

That’s indeed right, this post by robot (his only in that topic) doesn’t have the chat option:

I think
https://github.com/discourse/discourse/commit/d71016522e8d9bb21c20312388271f8f0dd53069
fixed this.
Even if the post filter is shown, the chat button is no longer visible