Clean up user_auth_token_logs?

We have a forum where user_auth_token_logs has 61 million rows (and growing).

There are only 25k user_auth_tokens.

Of the 61 million rows, 54 million rows refer to an user_auth_token that does not exist anymore (i.e. a database integrity issue). And of the 61 million rows, around 58 million are older than 2 months (i.e. seemingly useless?)

Questions:

• Could we just clean this up without risking further integrity issues?
  • Would it be an idea to have a job clean this up automatically?
db=# select count(*) from user_auth_tokens;
 count 
-------

db=# select count(*) from user_auth_token_logs;
  count   
----------

db=# select count(*) from user_auth_token_logs where user_auth_token_id not in (select id from user_auth_tokens);
  count   
----------

db=# select count(*) from user_auth_token_logs where created_at < '2024-07-13';
  count   
----------

4 Likes

Yes, user_auth_token_logs are there only for debugging purposes. All rows can be emptied, the only consequence will be that you won’t have any logs to debug.

This should be covered by:

2 Likes

Thank you for that, I did not realize that was there.

So… the cleanup only runs when verbose_auth_token_logging is true (which is not the case on this instance)

but non-verbose logging always happens regardless of the setting :scream:

per 8fb823c

Moving this to bug :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Ah yes, good catch. Looks like lines 214 to 217 need fixing as well.

I would be comfortable with a global cleanup after a certain timeframe. @osama (since you’re the author of the commit linked above), do you think we can clean up all of these logs after some time (and if so, after how long)? It sounds like we need to keep some of them for detecting suspicious logins.

4 Likes

Why does it need fixing? :thinking: That piece of code is about cleaning up rotated UserAuthTokens, not about the log records?

Update: after enabling SiteSetting.verbose_auth_token_logging, triggering the weekly job and running VACUUM FULL user_auth_token_logs the table went from 16GB to 687MB :+1:

Saved some trees today :deciduous_tree:

2 Likes

Yes, I think we can clean up most of the logs, but some of them have to stay. Specifically, I think any records that have suspicious, generate, or rotate for action will need to be kept around because they’re used for detecting and generating reports for suspicious logins.

3 Likes