Closing a topic based on time since last message appears broken

Trying to set a topic auto-close timer based on time since the last message. The dialog seems to have changed since I last used it, and I am unable to add a value (X hours).

The screenshot is from an up-to-date Chromebook (v89).

4 Likes

I can reproduce that issue on Meta. I’m using the latest version of Chrome on Ubuntu. It took a few tries to reproduce it. What seemed to trigger the issue when I opened the topic timer on this topic was that I selected the “Custom date and time” option and then closed the topic timer modal. After doing that, I’m consistently getting the “Last” entry with the text “Invalid date” being displayed when I open the topic timer modal on Meta.

I’m not seeing any errors in the console. There is a deprecation warning that may be related though: value provided is not in a recognized RFC2822 or ISO format. moment construction falls back to js Date(), which is not reliable across all browsers and versions. Non RFC2822/ISO date formats are discouraged.

7 Likes

@martin can you have a quick look?

2 Likes

The “Last” option shown in the modal there is a shortcut for “Last custom date and time used”. If you want to close a topic after X amount of time since the last message you need to choose this option, which was separated out from auto-close topic:

That being said the Invalid Date issue is a problem, and also maybe we should change “Last” to say “Last custom date and time” or something so it is clearer.

4 Likes

I just merged a fix for this, should no longer occur with the reproduction steps @simon outlined and I improved the wording too:

https://github.com/discourse/discourse/pull/12783

2 Likes