Colored loading dots because assets not uploaded

Checking all of the boxes on Safe mode does not help.

I removed all app.yml plugins except docker manager.

Any thoughts on how to troubleshoot this?

I don’t see anything obvious in the re-build app log either.

Are you saying that the site is stuck at the loading?

Can you check your browser’s console and copy-paste or screenshot what you see? (click right on the page → inspect → click on Console tab)

2 Likes

This is what I’m seeing in the console:

Uncaught ReferenceError: define is not defined
    at apply-details.js:1:1
composer-presence-display.js:1 Uncaught ReferenceError: define is not defined
    at composer-presence-display.js:1:1
console.js:1 Uncaught ReferenceError: define is not defined
    at console.js:1:1
spoiler-alert.js:1 Uncaught ReferenceError: define is not defined
    at spoiler-alert.js:1:1
admin?v=b7ce39c01f13a2dce7d327b15c700163:1 Uncaught ReferenceError: I18n is not defined
    at admin?v=b7ce39c01f13a2dce7d327b15c700163:1:1
wizard?v=3f01c1ba4ca92c6d988a708eb22fa69a:1 Uncaught ReferenceError: I18n is not defined
    at wizard?v=3f01c1ba4ca92c6d988a708eb22fa69a:1:1

Is it an upgrade from the admin panel?

If so, can you try rebuilding Discourse from the command line and see it it helps?
It can happen sometimes; you need to rebuild the container fully. :thinking:

1 Like

I’ve done several:

./launcher rebuild app tries from command line

Even re-booted my server.

I tried a rebuild app with all of the plugins commented out or the app.yml (except docker-manager).

The only odd thing I’m seeing is occasionally, redis shows up in the log when rebuilding the app as port already in use.

1 Like

I also see this in the rebuild log:
warning Resolution field “unset-value@2.0.1” is incompatible with requested version “unset-value@^1.0.0”

Maybe these warnings too:

warning "@discourse/lint-configs > eslint-plugin-ember > ember-eslint-parser@0.3.8" has unmet peer dependency "@typescript-eslint/parser@^6.15.0".
warning " > @glint/environment-ember-loose@1.4.0" has unmet peer dependency "@glimmer/component@^1.1.2".
warning " > discourse-markdown-it@1.0.0" has unmet peer dependency "xss@*".
warning "workspace-aggregator-dea9e772-66c3-4abc-b8ac-f93229bc0b9d > discourse > @uppy/aws-s3@3.0.6" has incorrect peer dependency "@uppy/core@^3.1.2".
warning "workspace-aggregator-dea9e772-66c3-4abc-b8ac-f93229bc0b9d > discourse > @uppy/aws-s3-multipart@3.1.3" has incorrect peer dependency "@uppy/core@^3.1.2".
warning "workspace-aggregator-dea9e772-66c3-4abc-b8ac-f93229bc0b9d > discourse > @uppy/xhr-upload@3.1.1" has incorrect peer dependency "@uppy/core@^3.1.2".
warning "workspace-aggregator-dea9e772-66c3-4abc-b8ac-f93229bc0b9d > discourse-plugins > ember-this-fallback@0.4.0" has unmet peer dependency "ember-source@^3.28.11 || ^4.0.0".
warning "workspace-aggregator-dea9e772-66c3-4abc-b8ac-f93229bc0b9d > admin > ember-source > router_js@8.0.3" has unmet peer dependency "rsvp@^4.8.5".
warning "workspace-aggregator-dea9e772-66c3-4abc-b8ac-f93229bc0b9d > discourse > @uppy/aws-s3 > @uppy/xhr-upload@3.3.0" has incorrect peer dependency "@uppy/core@^3.2.1".

Those warnings can be ignored. Don’t hesitate to paste the entire log here if we miss something.

Also, are you behind Cloudflare or similar?

1 Like

It’s on a Digital Ocean droplet with new images on S3 bucket.

What causes errors like this ^^^?

I’m not sure. I would say what we see is the consequence of an underlying issue (like a fatal error at early stage or something did not load properly). Hopefully someone can provide other insights on this. :thinking:

Is it possible to share your Discourse URL (or by PM if you prefer)?

1 Like

Sent the DM, @Arkshine.

I misread; I thought you would use S3 only for images!

It seems you have permission issues (or outdated cache?) with files in your S3 bucket. Some of your Javascript files are blocked (403 forbidden), so Discourse can’t be loaded.

Unfortunately, I don’t know much about S3, but at least you know where the issue comes from. Hopefully, someone else can give you some guidance soon!

1 Like

On second thought, there is no risk in sharing the url in case anyone else can spot the issue.

I was hesitant with the logs because I seen some S3 access keys in there and wasn’t sure if there was anything else in the log that should be private.

1 Like

If you followed Configure an S3 compatible object storage provider for uploads did you include the bit that uploads assets to s3?

1 Like

Thanks, I’m looking into it…

I had the section with after_assets_precompile, commented out because something was failing.

I’ll re-enable and see what’s up.

The thing to do is something like

./launcher enter app
rake s3:i_cannot_remember_the_name

and see what error you get.

But if you don’t have that, then the assets are not in s3 and they can’t load, and your site can’t work.

You need to figure out why it’s failing, not just remove it.

1 Like

Thanks guys, you are legends!

When I switched uploads to S3 a month ago, I was not able to get the assets part to work. The images were being stored though.

It turns out I missed an ‘s’ when copy pasting the rake task for assets into my app.yml.

Then when I went to upgrade on Friday, it failed because I was only partially converted over and, I’m guessing I was running from old local assets that did not upgrade.

I’m rebaking uncooked posts now and the site is up again.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.