Command Shift Return is inconsistent

Please don’t feel bad here Seth, you certainly did not waste our time, it was a great catch and indeed an oversight in a “hidden feature” we have.

The full context here is that we used to have this feature called “disable jump”.

This feature was critical to specific users who really hated losing the spot in the topic when they posted a reply. A specific place this was fairly critical was very long “movie/episode spoiler” like discussions, by posting they would be transported to the end of the topic and completely lose place.

As a compromise we added a hidden feature where “shift” would signal us:

Hey, I am a power user, don’t navigate me anywhere after I post, I know what I am doing.

The oversight here is that we only ever intended for this feature to work on existing topics, not be used when creating new topics and messages.

The fix was that we get to keep everyone mostly happy. We still jump regardless when you hit SHIFT and are creating a new post or topic, cause it makes no sense to have the bypass there. We keep the jump bypass when you are on a topic/message.

Hope this makes sense and thanks heaps for bearing with us!

Fix is deployed here, full context and history is at:

:hugs:

6 Likes