Commit message functionality for topic title edits

Is it possible to leave a commit message — a note explaining the reasons for your changes — when tweaking a topic title, later adding or removing topic tags, and/or shifting categories?

It is normally always useful to let others know your motives for making such changes.

If this facility does not exist, please treat this query as a feature request. TIA and best

2 Likes

When editing a post, you can add an edit message using the :information_source: style icon in the composer:

edit message

Clicking on that will open up a box to add a message:

Though changes made using the topic title edit pencil don’t have the same option.

4 Likes

Thanks. That was my impression. Being a programmer, I get nervous when I cannot leave a note for those who might follow along behind.

3 Likes

Is your edit message shown in the same revision as the title edit when you do that?

3 Likes

Apparently not. When editing only the title, it seems to create a second revision for the edit message instead.

Let’s flip it to feature :+1:

6 Likes

To let you know that I guess you can vote up  :arrow_up:  this feature request by clicking on the blue Vote button on the very top left.