Configure an S3 compatible object storage provider for uploads

Thanks again for your answer !
The warning about google bucket was about using for backups because it couldn’t list the files.
I already posted on how to fix this

Are you suggesting I update the OP with that information ? I don’t believe I can.

Again, the backup works, but the upload of the assets doesn’t, according to the OP, this was supposed to work even without the Storage Legacy Bucket Owner rights.

I think there might be a regression here, what do you think @Falco ?

1 Like

There may be a regression. Are you sure you added the custom

that only Google needs?

2 Likes

Oh. Well, I thought that somebody had. :person_shrugging:

That was what I was suggesting. It’s a wiki, so I’m pretty sure you can, though I’m not 100% sure what trust levels are involved.

1 Like

Thanks for your answer, yes I did includes it:

Note that I tried with and without the subfolder
DISCOURSE_S3_BUCKET: discourse-uploads/discourse-uploads
and
DISCOURSE_S3_BUCKET: discourse-uploads

Thanks again

2 Likes

@tuanpembual initially did but referred to Storage Legacy Object Owner instead of Storage Legacy Bucket Owner

I’m only a “basic user” that must be the reason I can’t edit it.

3 Likes

I will try to summarize the answers to my questions:

• Do the Web UI and ENV variable collide ?
  • When are the assets supposed to be uploaded to the bucket ?
    By adding this snippet to the app.yml in the hook section, it will be uploaded after_assets_precompile (during rebuild app).
  • How can I debug this ? I don’t see any error in the logs
    By running :
cd /var/discourse
sudo ./launcher enter app
sudo -E -u discourse bundle exec rake s3:upload_assets --trace
  • Is it possible to set a subfolder of a bucket in the config ?

You can use prefixes to organize the data that you store in Amazon S3 buckets. A prefix is a string of characters at the beginning of the object key name. A prefix can be any length, subject to the maximum length of the object key name (1,024 bytes). You can think of prefixes as a way to organize your data in a similar way to directories. However, prefixes are not directories.

• Once this works, Are the previously uploaded images transferred to the bucket ? If I rebake, what will the url of the previously uploaded images look like ?
2 Likes

Hi, I’ve been looking for object storage providers, and I saw on the OP that for some of them, you’ll need “to skip CORS and configure it manually.”, I am not familiar with CORS or anything about configuring it, so should I stay clear from the ones needing this setting, or is it simple to set it up ?

1 Like

If you need to ask (as I would) then I would go with another one.

1 Like

Just confirm, once I’ve done the

rake uploads:migrate_to_s3
rake posts:rebake

steps, I can remove the local uploads folder in it’s entirety, yes?

1 Like

Hey @mcwumbly. This was very easy to find when I could search for “S3 clone”. I was unable to find it just now. Was there something wrong with that title? Is there a search that will find it? Could we add a (I can’t remember what it’s called) thing so it can auto link on some words like standard install does (but I can’t think of what words to use).

3 Likes

As someone who links that topics multiple times a week I kinda agree :stuck_out_tongue:

Maybe adding “s3 clones” to the OP body helps the search-fu?

2 Likes

I’ve found “S3 compatible” more common in the wild, which is why I changed it during a sweep of updating docs titles in general, for example: MinIO | AWS S3 Compatible Object Storage

I think the suggestion to stick other search terms in the OP body makes sense though. (I just added it in this one).

1 Like

Seems fine. I guess we’ll have to change with the times. :person_shrugging:

Yes. It’s really not so hard. You can do it, @pfaffman!

@falco:

2 Likes

Hello, has anyone managed to get Contabo Object Storage to work for S3 Compatible uploads. It seems that when uploading it prefixes the repository name in the url.

For example if you have a bucket called community it creates a URL like https://community.eu2.contabostorage.com

I have found this behavior in Duplicati for example but it can be excluded that it prefixes the bucket name in the domain.

I would appreciate if someone has the solution to be able to use this Object Storage because it has very good prices.

I have made several tests to configure the domain as CNAME in my domain from cloudflare to provide the SSL but for community.cdn.midominio.com the SSL certificate is no longer covered because they use a wildcard and if I deactivate the proxy of clouflare it complains because the certificate is not correct.

Greetings,

1 Like

Have you tried to set the S3 CDN setting to https://community.eu2.contabostorage.com ? IMO that will work.

Not exist, its the contabo endpoint eu2.contabostorage.com

1 Like

Yes, but what will be the final URL of a example file in a bucket?

2 Likes

![](upload://u6BBQfNFGrA4yuaLeqABnVkt87U.png)

He means that if you upload a file to the bucket yourself (using whatever tool you can get to upload a file) what url would you use to access the file?

2 Likes

https://eu2.contabostorage.com/9198f3bf2d6e43dd86fab037ebad3aee:comunidad/castopod-1.png

The structure is

Host: https://eu2.contabostorage.com/
User: 9198f3bf2d6e43dd86fab037ebad3aee
Bucket: comunidad
File: castopod-1.png

2 Likes