Configure Twitter login and rich embeds for Discourse

I think there’s already been an update, “Enable 3rd party authentication” is missing and the UI seems different?

2 Likes

They listened.

I’m not sure why the button is gone though @carson, hopefully it’ll come back?

3 Likes

For now, the best is to wait to see how things evolve.

I have a complete rework of this how-to but the process is confusing.
It seems that when we register as a developer account and we want to create an app, it forces us to apply for elevated access for a “project app”, which we don’t need. We just need a “standalone app” to be able to create a Twitter login for Discourse. Elevated access will make the login feature half-broken for some reason.

They might change the process and/or the interface in the short future, so I prefer to wait before working again on it.

Also, whatever app you create (project or standalone), rich embeds won’t work currently. It will only work for existing apps with no “type of app” selected (the input choice is not required, but it wasn’t before).

1 Like

Another update, guy who posted this must be blind. The general sentiment regarding these changes is not enthusiastic, looks much more like people being unhappy & lots of criticism.

4 Likes

Thank you so much for looking into it, I’ll watch this thread, please post again if/when you find out how to make it work again. Such a mess they are doing over there at twitter.

1 Like

Currently, we need to create a dev account and follow the steps to create a project app (if I’m not mistaken).
When they have approved your app (or if you already have an approved developer account and are able to create apps), then you need to go to your dashboard and create a standalone app:

Then follow the steps, it’s straightforward.

The API key at the end is called “twitter consumer key” in Discourse, and the Api Key Secret is called “twitter consumer secret”.

In your app in the Twitter Dashboard, go to the app settings and configure it like this:

You should be able to properly log-in with Twitter, but Rich Embeds won’t work.

3 Likes

Thank you @Canapin, I managed to do that and set everything up. I see that some tweets are not rendered properly but I believe that’s due to the twitter side of things being not quite in tip top shape.

Cheers and thanks again :wink:

1 Like

It’s because of the “type of app” required setting. Whatever option you choose, Rich Embeds won’t work.

If your app was created at a time when this setting didn’t exist/wasn’t required, then Rich Embeds work.

2 Likes

well then, i guess the “test account” and “test app” I created prior to this mess are now PRODUCTION

Software Consulting GIF

1 Like

To illustrate this, I have logins and rich embeds (working) enabled on three forums, and the now required option isn’t set :upside_down_face:

I applied for a dev license about 2 weeks ago and my application has yet to be reviewed but that was before I heard the news of a dev license costing $100. Never mentioned it during sign up and as of now they would need to review the application before I could pay them money since I can’t do anything on the dev portal until then.

As anyone had an application be successfully reviewed since Elon took over?

I don’t plan on ever paying for it but I think it would be good to have a note at the top of the guide stating that the Twitter API is now a paid model just to save people the time. Let alone if the application process even works right now lol

1 Like

I can’t find this information on Twitter’s dev website.

Multiple links in their documentation seem not to work.
For example, the "See pricing → " link here leads to https://developer.twitter.com/en/more/pricing.html which redirects to https://developer.twitter.com/en/products/twitter-api

At the end of this page is:

We have been hard at work developing our new free and basic API tiers, which are set to launch very soon! Stay tuned to @TwitterDev for launch day and to learn more.

There are no related news on their account: https://twitter.com/TwitterDev

I also created a new dev account one or two months ago and sent my first app for review. It’s still not validated, but not rejected either. Still waiting for a confirmation.

We don’t know that. I’d be happy to update the guide regarding any info, but Twitter’s review process’s blocking me from doing it.

1 Like

They announced it here but I wouldn’t be surprised if they are 2nd guessing it now since there’s been no real updates about it since

Edit: actually the stated this a while later but once again I wouldn’t be surprised if this is now changing

I’m assuming the application process might be stalled because of all these changes they plan to make.

2 Likes

After a (very long) time, I got an email reply from Twitter:

Hello,

Thank you for applying for access to the Twitter API. We’re working on exciting updates including new access types and will have more to share soon. Please stay tuned to @TwitterDev and resubmit your application as soon as we launch our new API.

In the meantime, you can learn more about the Twitter API v2 and find resources on developer.twitter.com. We appreciate your continued interest in developing on the Twitter API.

Thanks,

Twitter

(bold emphasis by me)

We definitely have to wait. :crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

I just set this up in exactly the same way and I’m getting this error when trying to Sign Up with Twitter:

Does it take a while for the keys to propagate on twitter’s side?

Hi and welcome, Panickos!

Twitter is actually working on their new API, so we have to wait until they release something and give official info. In the meantime, I think not much can be done, see my message above yours. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

So if you had it already setup it works, but if it’s a new “Twitter App” configuration it doesn’t? I’m asking because I was also just able to connect my twitter account with my profile on this community (meta.discourse.org).

From what I think I know (take it with a grain of salt :smile:):

• Existing Twitter apps (from several months? A year?) work for both login and rich embeds on Discourse

• Standalone apps using API 1.1 make Twitter login work and properly return the user’s Twitter username and email in the signup form

• Product apps using API 2.0 make Twitter login work, but badly, as it won’t return the user’s Twitter username and email in the signup form

• No newly created app, whether it’s standalone or product, will make rich embed work on Discourse at this time

1 Like

A few minutes ago I received an e-mail from Twitter:

Hello,

This is a notice that your app - Forum Login - has been suspended from accessing the Twitter API.
Please visit developer.twitter.com to sign up to our new Free, Basic or Enterprise access tiers.
More information can be found on our developer community forums.

Regards,
Twitter Developer Platform

Logging into the Twitter dev portal shows a bright red banner under the app that says:

This App has violated Twitter Rules and policies. As a result, it can no longer be accessed. For assistance, submit a support ticket.

I assume this is the standard message when they “deprecate” the old 1.1 apps, I created this one in 2019. Trying to use the Twitter login on the forum now results in the aforementioned “An error occurred when starting authorization. Please try again.”

1 Like

Me too.

Go to https://developer.twitter.com and delete your old Web App. Then create a new one and follow the instructions at the top of this thread. You’ll be back up in no time.

I tested my recreation and we can now login with Twitter again.