Contest Mode - Random topic list sort

(Rafael dos Santos Silva) #1

On reddit, when you want to to capture suggestions and wanna minimize bias they provide “Contest Mode”:

this thread is in contest mode - contest mode randomizes comment sorting, hides scores, and collapses replies by default. Source

Different from reddit, we would do this at category level, randomizing topic sorting in a category and hiding votes.

After the contest is over, the admin can revert the order to votes.

(Jeff Atwood) #2

What would this be for? It sounds very confusing and I don’t understand the use case?

(Rafael dos Santos Silva) #3

Mostly trying to reduce:

When discourse-voting is used for a time-limited event, like “submit your new product idea this week” or something like that, bandwagoning can be pretty hard.

(Gurjyot Singh) #4

Basically it means to hide most of the data (like votes, replies) from users during a contest so that each user can reply or vote as a neutral person. Otherwise there’s a chance that the people will start to participate in that competition and act according to other people’s activity rather than doing what their mind says.

(Dylan Hunt) #5

Yea, the Reddit example was probably the best example: If you have a subthread to eliminate biased behavior, bump manipulation, etc.

(Jeff Atwood) #6

I think the use of reddit as an ‘example’ confused me – this would only apply to polls, not topics, yes? I think the use of this in a poll is the best example.

(Rafael dos Santos Silva) #7

Well, the use case a friend of mine described was using the voting plugin, where each topic in the voting is a long and complex proposal.

Everyone can submit a proposal (by creating a topic in the category with the plugin enabled) and vote for a month.

Having “contest mode”, during this month, would help with the bandwagon effect.

After one month, everything is reverted to normal, and the winners and votes are public, as usual.

PS: If this was not clear by the category, this is a proposal for a feature inside the voting plugin.