Control which comments are embedded?

pr-welcome

(Carsten Wawer) #1

Hi there!

Is there a possibilty to control which(!) Comments are displayed on an embedding Website?

If Discussion goes wild, i don’t want to display every (of eventually hunderds) comment under the underlying Webpost.

Any possibilty to achieve this?

Thanks in Advance!
Carsten

Embedding Discourse Comments via Javascript
(Robin Ward) #2

There is no way to choose specifically which comments are shown when embedding. However there is a site setting embed post limit which limits how many will be attached to any given post. The default is 100.

(Carsten Wawer) #3

Thanks for your response!

Perhaps i’ll build my own embed-Code, that gets the most “interesting” reactions.

(Kane York) #4

That’s what the wp-discourse Wordpress plugin does, if you need an idea for which metrics to use…

(Carsten Wawer) #5

HI @riking,

but the wp-discourcse-Plugin does not load the Comments client-side, but generates the HTML on the Wordpress-Page, right?

I like the client-side-generation-approach, because it makes caching so much more efficient.

I’ll have a look at it!

Thanks!

(Anton) #6

Client-side caching in browser isn’t more edficient than server-side caching. For instance, when cache is used server-side, you deliver the HTML generated immediately. If caching client-side in browser, you’ll have tonread the cache and update your HTML, so it may not look instant to the user.

(Carsten Wawer) #7

Hi @meglio,

thanks for your input, but i doubt you can say that…

We are working with varnish-Caching in Front of the Website and I guarantee, that it makes sense in this kind of setup.

Client-Side-Handling of personalized Content is standard, if you work with caching-proxys…

Have a good Day!
Carsten

(Anton) #8

May you elaborate, please: which data and where cached exactly.

(Carsten Wawer) #9

We got several Caching-Layers(Varnish, a self-written REDIS-Caching-Plugin for Wordpress and more) in this project. I think it’s not ontopic to explain the whole setup here.

The point is, that in some setup, it can make a real caching-advantage, if the cached data is not altered after every new comment. And that’s what i want to accomplish amongst others.

I had a look into the discourse-code at the weekend and tend to write my own implementation of what i need in the next weeks.

Thanks for your help!

(Anton) #10

Still not clear, where would you like the comments to be cached? In browser?

(Carsten Wawer) #11

I just want to cache the HTML of a Page independent from the Comments, so i dont have to invalidate Cache-Objects in Varnish for every new comment incoming.

(Anton) #12

I’m confused, sorry. When you embed Discourse comments via JS, your comments are generated client-side, AFTER the page is loaded into the user’s browser. So you’re free to cache whatever HTML your page is: it will include the JS-comments embed code, but not the comments themselves.

I haven’t learned much about the native Discourse comments embedding via JS, but that’s how js-embedding works. Unless I misunderstood your goals.

(Carsten Wawer) #13

Hi @meglio,

we discussed here two possible implementations:

native discourcse-js-embed-solution: lacks a possibility to control what posts are displayed in situations where hundreds of posts are posted in a thread. you can control the number of posts, but nothing like "display only the most-liked-posts, if there are more then 30 posts in the thread. But it is client-side in the way i need it - right!

wp-discourcse-plugin: The Discourse-Plugin for Wordpress implements the Discourcse-Posts as Comments in the Wordpress-Comment-Database. The Comments are implemented (as HTML) into the corresponding HTML-Document and are not integrated Client-Side.

That makes it clear?
Carsten

(Anton) #14

Yes, thanks. So what you’re saying is that you’d like to have some caching of the comments HTML server-side in the Discourse’s WordPress plugin, so that the whole page HTML does not need to re-render with every load?

(Sam Saffron) #15

What we did for BBS probably should carry over as an option.

On BBS we display comments that were liked by staff members. I think that is a very good option to add here.

@carstenwawer perhaps do a PR for this?

(Quintin Par) #16

Hi @sam, @carstenwawer,
Did this get implemented? If yes, can you please point me to where I should be setting it?