Custom profile fields, not show them on signup

When defining custom profile fields there is an option to have them not mandatory at signup.

Yet, they still show up in the signup screen. This is not desirable since

• I want the signup screen to be as simple as possible
  • it gives the impression that the custom field needs to be filled in
  • it gives the impression that the content of the custom field is somehow related to elegibility of membership, therefore may induce hesitation to signup.

So from an ux point of view, is it possible to have an option to have it removed from signup, yet still available as a field to enter in the profile afterwards. (Like “location” and such)

2 Likes

This has come up a few times on meta, perhaps we should add a

[ ] show at signup

field here @sam?

16 Likes

You can use the (dasherized) field name now… so

.user-field-your-field-name {
  display: none;
}

I’ll double check invites, if it isn’t the same there… it should be! Yep, it’s the same on invites, you can use .user-field-your-field-name there too.

9 Likes

+1 I’d love a [ ] show at signup option.

@Kris’s custom CSS approach doesn’t do what we want here, because if you use that technique, it hides the field both on the signup form and in the profile.

My use case: we want to allow users to optionally declare their pronouns with a free-text field (because some users use unusual pronouns to refer to themselves), but a field like that is a honeypot for folks who think that “pronouns” are a political offense; new users get inspired to type something rude in the box.

We think it’s better not to show the field on signup, but to allow engaged users to set it by customizing their profile.

1 Like

My CSS is pretty basic, but I think you can target just the box on the sign-up page with this:

.d-modal.create-account .user-field-YOUR-FIELD-NAME {
}

.invites-show .user-field-YOUR-FIELD-NAME {
}

And that should let you use the field as normal elsewhere.

Edit: I put a bit in for the invite page too, if you also use invites. :+1:

2 Likes

Do we need .d-modal here? I’d don’t want to make assumptions about how the sign up form will look in the future.

I’m afraid I don’t know the answer to that. It should be easy enough to amend if it ever changes though.

Edit: I’ve just tested, and removing it from the snippet above makes the box reappear, so it seems it’s needed for this particular piece to work.

Hopefully someone with more experience can chip in. :crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

Closed in favour of Site setting to hide custom user fields from signup page