Data explorer query to alert moderators when phone numbers are posted in private messages

What would you like done?

Hey guys

Since we run our forum on an anonymous basis, we would like to protect our members’ privacy.

For such we would like to implement a data explorer query that warns moderators whenever a private message is send containing a phone number.

There was a great template from @SidV for a data explorer query here:
https://github.com/SidVal/discourse-data-explorer/blob/queries/queries/search-term-pm.sql

When do you need it done?

August 15

What is your budget, in $ USD that you can offer for this task?

50 USD

1 Like

What do you think a phone number looks like?

1 Like

Basically this:

1 Like

So this?

(0xx) xxxx-xxxx
1 Like

Basically any longer number (more than 9 digits) that starts with +49 or 0…
Any special characters in between the digits should be ignored

1 Like

To solve your problem I need an exact answer to what you think a phone number is, not “basically”. Solving it “basically” is a $500-$5000 problem.

So anything that starts with “+49” and then has 10 or more digits, and ~!@#$%^&*() can be interspersed in those 10 or more digits, but not counted?

3 Likes

Pretty sure this can already be done with Admin, Logs, Watched Words in regex mode. You will need to be very very careful in how you construct that regex.

5 Likes

That was going to be part of my solution, though as you suggest, just how to define what is a phone number is far from a simple task.

2 Likes

Thx for the input.
We will try it this way

Topic can be closed

2 Likes

Here is one example REGEX for matching phone numbers:

^[+]*[(]{0,1}[0-9]{1,4}[)]{0,1}[-\s\./0-9]*$

Here is another one:

^(\+\d{1,2}\s)?\(?\d{3}\)?[\s.-]\d{3}[\s.-]\d{4}$

Modify as you wish… You can test with an online REGEX tester, there are many.

HTH

3 Likes

Wow, I appreciate it, thx!
We will test it

1 Like

Welcome! @jrgong

Here is a sample online REGEX tester for one of those examples:

https://regexr.com/3c53v

You can use that site, or a similar one, to test the number formats you are interested in.

2 Likes

Thx

Just one quick question: How can I set up the regex to ignore numbers with 8 digits or less?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.