Default mode for long topics: active "summarize this topic"

Is it possible to put long topics in “summarize this topic” active-mode, so that best replies are shown in long discussion in the first glance.

then if someone wants to un-hide other topics he can simply press the hidden items.

This is because usually newbie users go to top list, and see long discussion, and don’t see “summarize the topic” at first (they have already scrolled down the topic).

5 Likes

I have been thinking about this a bit.

I noticed Reddit is now effectively forcing summaries on their older archived topics…

2 Likes

I do wonder if we should at least offer this as a site setting.

6 Likes

I think that setting would be helpful for sites that have very long topics. cough imgur cough

2 Likes

Another example of reddit “auto-shortening” topics like this, for new arrivals who aren’t logged in:

It is quite hard to see that “load more comments” link…

I’d love to see an option like that where visitors could see only topics (first post) but would have to login to see any of the replies.

ktmtalk.com implements this, but every now & then "opens’ their forum to visitors for a brief period before locking the doors again.

Not happening on my watch, sorry! That would need to be some kind of plugin.

2 Likes

Any further thoughts about turning on “Summarize this topic” by default?

4 Likes

I would like to have this in the settings panel too.
According to me, it should not be a big pain because this feature already exists, and by appending on any topic the flag ?filter=summary overrides default display