Disabling Ctrl-F

Control + f ends up going to Discourse search when the expectation is browser search. I know the development team has their reasons but sometimes it’s more useful to search for keywords within a post.

How can I disable it so that control + f is disabled?

I know the dev team will defend their reasons but I’m mostly looking to see if there is a server setting to disable this. Thanks

You can press ctrl+f twice to use the native browser search

6 Likes

Thank you for the tip. It is unusual that Control+F works as expected for topics or posts with few replies but switches to Discourse search when there are multiple replies. This is not obvious and can cause confusion. Users who need to search within Discourse can press the magnifying glass icon, similar to the Google “search” button. I hope the developers read this and take it into consideration. If they wish to override browser keyboard shortcut functions, they should develop a native app. Otherwise, the browser keyboard functions should be respected.

p.s. Love Discourse and only share this feedback because I care :slight_smile:

I see it as more of an extension than overriding the function. Ctrl+F means “I am looking for a specific string on this page”. But if the text is in the topic but hasn’t been loaded in, you won’t find it, but the search will.

I think it’s unreasonable to expect the user to understand the pagination implementation of the endless scroll. So looking for a string that is 100% known to be in the topic but not finding it is highly undesirable result. I prefer they are nudged in the correct direction.

The 2x Ctrl+F is also good because many times I do just want to do a native text search

2 Likes

See post attached for more thorough discussion.

2 Likes