Discord Bot Construction Kit 🤖

Well, I didn’t go through that way… :sweat_smile:
I’ve forked your repo, and made a new plugin that suited our needs:

https://github.com/barreeeiroo/discourse-discord-sync

It basically syncs all groups with Discord roles, but automatically. When a user is added or removed from a group, it will run a sync job and update their roles according to the public groups. In addition, I’ve added a setting to mark a “verified role”, that will be added to all users who have a Discourse account. And also it supports adding a list of safe roles, which the bot will ignore when syncing users (useful, for example, if wanting to set different admins and mods in the server than in the forum).
I’ve also added a username-nickname syncer. It can enforce users to have the same server nickname as the forum username.

I’ll open a #plugin topic after cleaning up a couple of things, as maybe someone can find it useful.

7 Likes

@barreeeiroo what was really interesting about your fork was your leveraging of DiscourseEvents hooks.

I had assumed that wasn’t possible because the bot is running in a separate thread. But as you’ve discovered, it seems we can act on events and influence the bot. So thanks for that, that’s a really important insight we can develop going forward.

So I’ve started adopting that technique in the main repo, starting with the ability to set some watches on new posts or Topics that willl be announced in the admin channel of Discord.

https://github.com/merefield/discourse-discord-bot/commit/9f8498c6a56baebb4d21009dff57932b35a46b86

The functionality may be of little use as it currently stands but it demostrates the concept for others to leverage.

5 Likes

OK I’ve developed the plugin a little further now and have POC for two way communication working:

Here are the new settings

• You can designate an Announcements Channel on Discord in the plugin settings.

• You can now type into the assigned Discord Announcements Channel and this will post your message to your assigned Discourse Topic in the plugin settings

• You can set up a list of Categories in Discourse to post to the Announcements channel on your Discord if someone Posts there or adds a new Topic (either or both).

https://github.com/merefield/discourse-discord-bot/commit/a19aa35f6aab2504aa220a1ab3856475f27c795a

In addition I’ve added a new file to manage Discord events supported by the discordrb API, with Announcements logic being the first example (feel free to develop new ones and PR if of general use to the community).

I’ve also removed the changes required to app.yml to install libsodium-dev as this is now optional having updated the dependencies and not required for the plugin at present (no need to handle voice). This will make installation much simpler.

9 Likes

I followed the installation instructions and everything went smoothly up to the restart. The bot did not join the room, so I checked /logs:

Is this referring to the discord_bot_token? It’s filled in, and I verified the value. Any clues?

3 Likes

Mark, apologies, I somehow missed this.

Did you discover the issue?

Can you please update and try the new version and we’ll take it from there

2 Likes

A significant update funded by the Discourse team :tada:

FEATURES: new message auto-copy and history copy command by merefield · Pull Request #4 ·
merefield/discourse-discord-bot (github.com)

1. A new command !disccopy <number-of-messages> <optional-target-category-name> <optional-target-topic-name> which allows you to copy Discord message history (in that channel) to your Discourse instance from within Discord chat. This can safely cope with 1,000’s of messages in one go (but for that volume will take time).

2. Automated per message chat copy, by channel to any identically named Category on Discourse: if the channel name matches the Category name, it will copy the message into Discourse if this is set:

3. For any message copied into Discourse from Discord, the User will now show correctly if that user has logged into Discourse using the Discord login (So Discord Bot is able to match the user accounts).

4. Localisation support added for a lot of features.

Thanks to @erlend_sh & Discourse team for speccing & sponsoring this work!! :pray:

More bot stuff coming :wink: :robot:

5 Likes

If they login with Discourse auth or any auth other than Discord OAuth, would this plugin simply ignore them?

1 Like

Doesn’t ignore them, it’s just unable to match the user with the person on the other system. As a result copied messages will appear to be from “system”

2 Likes

Are threads supported?

3 Likes

Not yet, Klaus, but it’s potentially in the pipeline. Waiting for the Ruby API to be updated (blocker) then a backer to add that feature.

2 Likes

Allright. That’s a bit of a bummer since I just enforced threads in the support chans of our Discord to get a better overview of support cases. And I am not sure it actually gives that - but luckily there’s other advantages.

Do you have an ETA on the API and an idea of what it would cost to back the feature?

Thanks!

/k

2 Likes

I did chase recently and it’s been in development for some time. I’ll chase again and revert, but be warned, the last time they told me “it’ll be done when it’s done” … the problem with open source is often a lack of a good way of directing appropriate levels of community funding (or lack thereof) to assist with focus and prioritisation … we’ll see …

From my end I’d have to see the final implementation to estimate the effort.

The challenge might be that whilst it’s straightforward to copy across messages, keeping Threads in sync with Topics may require some kind of mapping maintained in Discourse, e.g. a custom field or table that maps Discord Threads to Discourse Topics, so when a new message gets added to a Thread you know where to put it in Discourse.

Can you elaborate on exactly the functionality/behaviour you are seeking?

2 Likes

Yeah that sucks to be depending on something you can’t influence.

My idea is very inspired on the article and the discoussion on the Discourse blog on how well Discord and Discourse supplement each other. When we started our Discord server almost two months ago we didn’t really know how it would evolve and how it would affect our existing (but barely configured) Discourse forum but it looks like people still use it as well as our Discord for asking technical support questions (I am with the FOSS project CrowdSec). So basically I completely buy in on the idea to use Discourse as a more long term memory and sync Discord threads to Discourse under topics matching Discord channels (and vice versa). The way I see it, it can be done much more effectively (e.g. automated) by using threads.

As I said I recently enforced threads on Discord which means that it’s not always very easy to get an overview of threads for those of our developers that are assigned to user support. So I want to use the sync to Discourse also as a good way for them to keep updated on questions to answer whilst not being sucked too much into the Discord chitter-chatter.

Does that makes sense? And is there some other way to achieve this on a shorter time frame maybe?

2 Likes

Hi @merefield !

I’m reaching out to you here because I don’t think my github Issue was seen, and I’m thinking this is the next best place.

We’ve been getting an error that we’ve tracked down to the discord bot plugin. The above image shows the inspect element error, but any user who sends a PM also gets a “500 Error” visual when their PM is sent. The PM is still sent successfully, but this error makes it seem otherwise. After disabling the plugin, the issue no longer exists.

I’m pretty sure the issue is coming from /lib/discourse_event_handlers.rb. I’m assuming that a PM is triggering the post_created DiscourseEvent which makes it try to access the post’s category via posted_category = post.topic.category.id, which causes the error.

I hope this helps and I hope this can be resolved soon. Thanks

3 Likes

Thanks for the report. Sounds about right. Might get chance to look at it this week …

3 Likes

Fantastic, thank you! We’ll keep an eye out for the update. :+1:

3 Likes

Heads up that I’m drowning in client work atm so this may not get looked at for a little while.

In the meantime PR accepted.

In general I would welcome more community contribution to the free plugins.

2 Likes

Things are preeeetty busy for me atm, but I’ve pushed what I believe is a fix:

FIX: exclude private messages from bot event considerations · merefield/discourse-discord-bot@82b2109 (github.com)

Seems to work now and the dreaded 500 on PM’s is gone …

2 Likes

Oh, that’s wonderful and replaces Discord Chat!

¿It has supposed to read slug names on Discourse or just titles?

1 Like

Discord does not manage by slugs in the same way, so iirc it is titles.

2 Likes