Discourse 1.1 and Release Schedule

In September, the entire Discourse Team had our yearly world meetup in Toronto. It was a blast!

Robin and Neil (not pictured, he has a thing with heights) hosted us and made sure a fun time was had by all in their home city. We rode segways, we climbed the tallest tower, we were trapped in puzzle rooms, we even killed a hobo. We also discussed the Discourse roadmap post V1, and how we decide what goes into future releases of Discourse.

This topic is for comments on the original blog entry at: http://blog.discourse.org/2014/11/discourse-1-1-and-release-schedule/

4 Likes

I like D. 1.2beta1 really, and the improved search is an enhancement on one of the most important and used features in my community. Thank you and all the developers!

That said,

If this is a pun or a reference to some meme that was intended to be fun, I don’t get it. I find it disturbing.

2 Likes

It’s an old Daily Show joke. This Google search may explain:

Or this clip…

Or in interviews…

https://jon.happyjoyfun.net/tran/2002/02_0426sin.html

SIN: One of the rumors that we have that sort of trickles around here is that…

Jon: I once killed a hobo! With my bare hands! You are correct sir!

SIN: Something like that… Basically, the rumor is that you hate us. You hate William & Mary, and you didn’t like your time here, and you would never consider saying anything good about the school.

Jon: Oh no no no, that’s not the case. I didn’t necessarily have the greatest time there. But that wasn’t necessarily their fault.

Or in guest interviews:

In contrast, Stewart repeatedly challenges Christopher Horner, a global warming skeptic from the American Enterprise Institute. At the beginning of the interview, the host compares Horner’s book (The Politically Incorrect Guide to Global Warming and Environmentalism) to the IPCC report: “Yours is more interesting. The graphs and all of the other things in the other one—the data—I didn’t care for it.” Toward the end of the unusually contentious interview, Stewart asks his guest, “Have you ever killed a hobo?”

1 Like

Thank you for bringing context, now I understand how the pun was intended.

Might want to link to the daily show video on the expression, as I bet a lot of international folk may not get it.

4 Likes

Discourse 1.2 released