Discourse App Store?

(AstonJ) #1

Continuing the discussion from Discourse for iOS:

Not sure if this has been posted anywhere yet, but what does everyone think of a DC App Store? Could be quite lucrative for DC and app/plugin developers…

(Michael Downey) #2

Do you maybe mean something like the Add-Ons site for Firefox (doesn’t support paid addons) or maybe something more like the Chrome Webstore (does have paid extensions)?

AFAIK such a platform doesn’t pre-exist, so it’d have to be built. And it’s not a very trivial project. (Unless people want to help contribute to the one we’re building for OpenMRS. :-))

(Bill Ayakatubby) #3

There has been some discussion amongst the community around what this might look like, although nothing from any of the principals:

(AstonJ) #4

Sam posted this in the other thread:

But basically I would like to see something like the Apple App Store - where developers submit apps/plugins, which are checked to make sure they are secure and in-line with other app rules and regs.

I think this way everyone benefits - devs can make money, DC gets a cut, and everyone else gets secure, efficient apps and plugins.

(Michael Downey) #5

I’m not sure the Apple model is a good one for a free & open source software project, but I think I get the idea. The other thread above is a good start at discussing potential features/requirements.

+1 generally for highly discoverable/browsable Discourse plugins.

(Rikki Tooley) #6

I mentioned in the other thread that I like the idea of curated stores, but I think users should have the ability to run their own directories with their own criteria using the same software (would be good for companies like DiscourseHosting). In this vision, Discourse admins would select whichever directories they fancy, and plugin updates would stream in from whichever directory they were installed from.

I’m basically describing apt-get, aren’t I? :stuck_out_tongue: