Discourse as a private email support portal

Super excited about this feature, we find an interesting use case for this in order to manage communication with clients via auto-categorised messages instead of very long email threads, some of them with 0 interest for some coworkers :smiley:

Only one question: What will happen with emails with more than one recipients out of the community?

For example, client1 asks for support with an email to the specified address, but he copies another people: client2 and client3. So, could client2 and client3 see the topic in the Discourse instance? or only view the replies by email? I think if they view only the messages via email would be enough, but i was wondering about this.

If they don’t already have an account on Discourse, we’ll create a staged one based on their email address. They’ll then be able to see all the topics they’re in once they create an account using the same email address :wink:

5 Likes

So at this stage is there a way to turn the staged users ON and let people create support topics from unregistered emails?

1 Like

Yes this works now and we use it in meta, @zogstrip we really need a #howto on this.

7 Likes

I am quite keen on this as well. Look forward to seeing how this can work for us.

It’s working very well for us already. (http://talk.remobjects.com, support@ is hooked up to a private group)

2 Likes

How does this work with SSO (e.g., external user management systems)?

1 Like

@downey the staged users get hooked up properly as long as the SSO hands you back a matching email address.

@sam @zogstrip was an #howto made for this? I can’t find any information about how to setup this feature

3 Likes

… And if they don’t match?

Afaik thats currently an unsolved issue

Is this whisper in support-category already implemented? How can I turn a category into a support category?

There is no support category, what we settled on was using group messages as the “support-category”

@zogstrip is working on a howto which will clarify how everything works now and is configured.

4 Likes

Thank you. I think I will figure it out then.

Last question: Is whispering working for communication within non-staged users
in group messages started by staged accounts?

Whisper works everywhere, but whisper functionality is staff only.

This has now been implemented, see here:

7 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Start a new conversation with a customer not yet in Discourse

Can you please provide the link to the howto in this topic here?

Sure. This should be the canonical page for this feature from now on anyhow:

5 Likes