Discourse Basic Editor - Beginner friendly composer!

Tiptap isn’t really a comparable example though because it’s just using markdown shortcuts to convert to HTML (AFAIK). You can’t then edit formatting that already exists using markdown (because the syntax does not display). So you can go one direction but not the other. And to me any WYSIWYG editor solution for Discourse that doesn’t render to markdown in the output is a non-starter. That fundamentally breaks core compatibility and locks you in to the particular editor plugin you’ve chosen. I guess if Tiptap could output to markdown the approach would be fine.

The point of showing Typora as an example is that they fairly elegantly harmonize WYSIWYG with markdown. It seems that for some, like @Jagster , an ability to keep the existing behavior and not “jump” between preview and syntax would be desirable. But I do think the Typora approach is preferable and more intuitive for many other people.

That’s exciting to hear! I would definitely be interested in this.

Agreed! I think/hope this will be improved in core in the future.

While I don’t think you’re quite right that the “only” people paying for Discourse have a business relationship with CDCK (Communiteq would probably have things to say about that :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:), I do agree that for an open source project Discourse has a community somewhat lacking in “community spirit” or “openness” or something. I can’t quite put my finger on it, but things definitely work differently here than in many other open source projects, even ones run by commercial entities. I am hopeful that true crowdfunding efforts and community-own/driven plugin (or even changes to core) can happen one day. I would especially like to see this around theme development for more advanced layouts and changes, as I’ve mentioned before: Relative lack of themes - am I missing something?

4 Likes