```sh
	systemctl reboot
	```

into the edit form in Discourse, that content becomes

||```sh|
|---|---|
||systemctl reboot|
||```|

This is erroneous – it’s obviously a list, not a table.

I’ve tested this on discuss.kde.org and meta.discourse.org.

```sh
	systemctl reboot
	```
	```sh
	systemctl reboot
	```

@JammyDodger, try it again. I’ve removed the list number. It seems to reliably work now.

By the way, select-quoting your comment gives me

[quote="JammyDodger, post:2, topic:266325"]
Reboot:

0. ```
systemctl reboot
```

```
0.	Reboot:
	```sh
	systemctl reboot
	```
```
[/quote]

…is that correct?

I have to admit, I’m not entirely sure what I’m meant to be copying and pasting at this point. :slight_smile:

Haha.

```sh
	systemctl reboot
	```

When copying the text from the page by drag-selecting it I get:

But copying it using the copy button:

I properly get just the expected text upon pasting.

Clipboard contents using the “copy” button are:

TEXT:
b'```sh\n\tsystemctl reboot\n\t```'
text/plain:
b'```sh\n\tsystemctl reboot\n\t```'

Clipboard contents by drag-selecting it on the page are:

TEXT:
b'\t```sh\n\tsystemctl reboot\n\t```'
text/html:
b'<span style="color: rgb(199, 199, 199); font-family: Consolas, Menlo, Monaco, &quot;Lucida Console&quot;, &quot;Liberation Mono&quot;, &quot;DejaVu Sans Mono&quot;, &quot;Bitstream Vera Sans Mono&quot;, &quot;Courier New&quot;, monospace; font-size: 17.008px; font-style: normal; font-variant-ligatures: normal; font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: 400; letter-spacing: normal; orphans: 2; text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: pre-wrap; widows: 2; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; background-color: rgb(60, 60, 60); text-decoration-thickness: initial; text-decoration-style: initial; text-decoration-color: initial; display: inline !important; float: none;">\t```sh\n\tsystemctl reboot\n\t```</span>'
text/plain:
b'\t```sh\n\tsystemctl reboot\n\t```'

It’s probably that tab stop at the beginning of each line confusing things - perhaps if while parsing clipboard contents the first column is always empty we don’t treat it as a list.

This seems a bit of a pathological situation - is there a natural situation where it comes up? Normally there won’t be tab stop characters in posts.

To a computer it looks exactly like a tab-delimited table with a blank first column.

7 Likes

one thing i’ve learned over the years is never trust the drag-select copy and paste…

That should probably be determined by the user, using

```tsv
```

After all, a tab-delimited table shouldn’t work with word-wrapping enabled, so it rather has to be enclosed with something that forces scrolling.

And, of course, also because indentation (to delimit a list or fenced codeblock)

is also very valid (and common) markdown.