Discourse deleted 1500 inactive users who haven't been seen for two years after update

Last Friday I updated Discourse to v2.3.0.beta8 (from Beta 3 I think it was). Since then, it has deleted 1500 inactive users (defined as (trust level 0 without any posts if I understand correctly). We did not want those to be deleted.

I am reporting this as a bug because I feel that Discourse should not change its behavior in such an important subject without either setting the defaults so these users do not get deleted, or at least prominently mentioning this in the release notes.

6 Likes

Yikes! Could someone from the team clarify the exact criteria for this automated deletion? I donā€™t want any users automatically deleted.

Iā€™ve seen people return to my forum and post after two years of TL0 inactivity. Iā€™d hate them to face the confusion (and annoyance) of a deleted account.

Edit: just seen this setting and have changed it (the default is 730)

8 Likes

Not quite, the users have to be gone for two years. So zero read time and zero presence on the site for 24 months after initial signup.

You can adjust this via the site setting in the post above.

3 Likes

I understand that. Nevertheless, I would like to be one making the decision if I want those users to be deleted, that is all I am saying.

2 Likes

Adjust the site setting as indicated above.

I already did. My point or question is, why is it only doing this now?

2 Likes

This feature is nice but it lacked some kind of adminā€™s approval for first run after update.

7 Likes

A few reasons.

1. It leads to artificially inflated stats, ā€œwe have 50,000 usersā€ but ā€¦ do you? If those users havenā€™t been on your site in more than two years in any meaningful way, either reading or posting, at all, in any capacity whatsoever ā€¦ are they really users on your site? :thinking:

2. Itā€™s a form of global digital hygiene; itā€™s unlikely any user wants an account they donā€™t use across {x} different websites on the internet. So removing them automatically cleans up their digital footprint with no effort on the userā€™s part. (GDPR comes to mind, for example.) :wastebasket:

3. Dangling unused accounts are potential points of compromise. For every user that re-uses passwords (and so many do), all it takes is one account to be compromised and attackers have a digital skeleton key :old_key: that works on every website that user ever touched.

11 Likes

These reasons all make sense and I have no issue with the removal of such accounts. It seems to me the real issue on this topic is that users feel they havenā€™t been informed of this change. Iā€™m not sure if this was actually in 2.3.0beta8 but if it was, itā€™s not in the release notes (And yeah, if youā€™re on beta youā€™d better always check those notes before upgrading).

15 Likes

Good point, we should make sure itā€™s in the release notes @dax.

8 Likes

Itā€™s in these notes (albeit at the bottom inside a details box): Discourse 2.3.0.beta6 Release Notes

10 Likes

I have to say, Iā€™m very disheartened by the approach here.

Iā€™ll first of all make clear that automated data lifecycle management is a great feature, and I donā€™t challenge the feature itself.

However I feel a great deal of thought needs to be given before rolling out new default behaviours that result in data destruction. Discourse the product clearly strives for convention over configuration but when those conventions break, these can be significantly impactful to everyone.

We have clients that have been affected by this change and have had to perform full data recovery operations in their production environments. To go into some specifics here:

• Why is a destructive change being rolled out as on-by-default? This functionality could have been given different defaults for upgrades as for new installs to prevent unintended data destruction.
  • Why has this behaviour not been signalled more clearly? ā€œClean up inactive usersā€ in a changelog under the heading ā€œNew Featuresā€ does not clearly signal the potential impact of these changes.
  • Has sufficient consideration been given to some wider use-cases? Discourse does not exist in a vacuum as part of peopleā€™s software stacks and I can already think of many edge cases where Discourse might see users as ā€œInactiveā€ despite other integrations using the same user database for other purposes across their platforms. Not everyone will be using the native SSO functionality supported by discourse, and it is very probable that some production integrations utilise the User table more directly without updating Discourseā€™s ā€œviewā€ on what active/inactive is. It is very possible that this data destruction could result in destruction of active users of these platforms who nonetheless remain inactive on the ā€œforumā€ side of these integrations

While I recognise this is a beta release I hope these concerns make sense - in general Discourse is opinionated software and this provides significant benefits in terms of administrative and moderation burdens for users, but the approach with this inactive user cleanup functionality risks (and has already introduced) breaking changes and it is important to balance these changes with consistency if we want people in this ecosystem to have any trust of update mechanisms and new features in futureā€¦

14 Likes

Can I confirm something here please:

If the user (TL0) used to post a bit but no longer does (hasnā€™t for over 2 years) then they will be deleted by default?

Or are we talking about accounts that have never posted, ever, and were created over 2 years ago?

ie ā€œwithout any postsā€ means just that, regardless of time period?

If the latter Iā€™m good and welcome this feature ā€¦ might even consider shortening that period.

I wouldnā€™t want the system to ever delete anyone who has posts without my say so.

3 Likes

Iā€™m slightly puzzled why anyone would roll out updates to a client site without reading the release notes and staging them first.

Thatā€™s just asking for trouble.

Were I a client reading that post I would be alarmed by the lack of due diligence being carried out here. Iā€™m hoping that at the very minimum youā€™ve apologised for your oversight and assured them that your future release practices will involve both consulting the documentation and staging the updates away from their live data?

This change happened in beta six, which is about two and a half weeks ago, why is this your first post on the topic if youā€™ve already effectively ā€˜managed an incidentā€™ and restored data? Thatā€™s rather peculiar.

Discourse supports SSO, and a fairly robust API, those are the widely supported means for integration. If you reach into the database directly youā€™re asking for trouble, thatā€™s technical architecture 101. The schema can and will change without notice, this is why APIs exist. Using the user tables directly is a Very Bad Ideaā„¢.

1 Like

No, the user cannot have any posts. Per https://github.com/discourse/discourse/blob/master/app/jobs/scheduled/clean_up_inactive_users.rb#L12, the user must not have a last_posted_at date (never posted), be TL0, and not seen for (by default) 2 years.

9 Likes

The same reason people click ā€œAgreeā€ on ToS without reading them.

What a wonderful world it would be if each one of us had enough time to read all the release notes for every update, fully understand them, make sure that any questions are addressed, and run comprehensive testing against a staged version to account for their own specific edge cases before moving forward.

That world, however, doesnā€™t exist. Thatā€™s great if it does for you, but not everybody can prioritize reading, understanding, and testing against release notes.

Thereā€™s a certain degree of trust that upgrading Discourse (as we all should) isnā€™t going to mess things up. Destroying data unexpectedly risks messing things up.

Itā€™s shifting blame to suggest that @TobyPinder should apologize for Discourse assuming this default for data destruction. Yes, we all have a responsibility for our own due diligence but surely Discourse also has a responsibility to consider its usersā€™ real-world scenarios.

I, for one, had no idea this feature was even a thing and immediately though ā€œoh shit, did i lose accounts?ā€ when i found out. Iā€™ve since adjusted the ā€œclean up inactive usersā€ setting to 2000000000 days.

Does it really make sense though to have to opt out of this behavior, when data destruction is irrecoverable?

At least, why isnā€™t it worth considering flipping the default, so nobody risks unexpectedly losing data?

14 Likes

Iā€™m slightly puzzled why anyone would roll out updates to a client site without reading the release notes and staging them first.

Was the clientā€™s decision for reasons beyond scope for this topic. I do not expect ā€œbetaā€ software to be supported nor are any of my concerns around ā€œsupportā€ here. The discussion is very relevant to the subsequent release of this software.

future release practices will involve both consulting the documentation

As already identified in my original response and by multiple parties in this thread, the documentation is completely inadequate when describing this impact.

Discourse supports SSO, and a fairly robust API, those are the widely supported means for integration. If you reach into the database directly youā€™re asking for trouble, thatā€™s technical architecture 101. The schema can and will change without notice, this is why APIs exist. Using the user tables directly is a Very Bad Ideaā„¢.

People can and will continue to use all software imperfectly. This does not absolve discourse of responsibility to make safe changes. I am providing one of many potential scenarios within which Discourseā€™s unilateral deletion of data can have wider impacts on a wider system. This simplified example demonstrated the wider impacts of such a change on forum administrators very clearly, but is by no means exhaustive.

If thatā€™s not a sufficient example for the members of this thread, consider that across many industry verticals there is a legal or regulatory requirement for longer retention policies than the stated two years. So this change and the defaults it introduces could expose these platforms to legal risk through data destruction. That the ramifications of such a change have not been considered in a holistic manner beyond a very vague changelog item is troubling and my suggestion would be that this is reviewed.

8 Likes

This is the big difference between hobbyist IT and running any real production service at scale.

If any of my staff applied a bleeding-edge update to a live service without consulting the documentation and running it through staging, that would be immediate grounds for termination as gross misconduct.

15 years ago establishing a representative test environment was an arduous task, it usually required additional hardware and in many cases additional software licensing, but even then any formal release management processes required it. Now in 2019 itā€™s ridiculously easy to clone out entire platforms to conduct such tests.

It does, and your practices will change the first time you make an egregious error and lose customers, revenue, or your job.

There is an alternative approach here which we frequently end up recommending: wait

Tests-passed is the default, and itā€™s much easier to support, but if youā€™re really unwilling to do the basics to de-risk a technical change then you should probably think about letting stable catch up and let others do some of the heavy-lifting. Youā€™re still going to need to read the documentation, that responsibility never goes away, but all of the other risks associated with ā€˜living on the edgeā€™ go away.

This really isnā€™t true, if you decide to misuse something then you canā€™t really complain when it doesnā€™t behave as you perceived.

The users will still remain in backups, which is the actual regulatory requirement here in the UK. Thereā€™s no legal requirement in any sector, public or private, to keep credentials in a live system. Financial records - yes. Legal ledgers? Absolutely. I work with organisations on GSI and they have extensive journalling requirements, but empty user records should be purged once theyā€™ve passed their usefulness - thatā€™s both a recommendation from the ICO and part of the Article 5 of the GDPR (Data Minimisation).

2 Likes

As mentioned by others, sometimes this decision is beyond our control, and the documentation around this is insufficient.

People are losing users unexpectedly as a result of this change. ā€œThatā€™s your fault. You should apologize to your clients.ā€ is an unacceptable response.

You are correct though, there is a big difference between hobbyist IT and running any real production service at scale. If Discourse aims to serve both and everything in between, as it purports to, then potentially destructive changes need to be handled with more consideration.

That hardly seems like an unreasonable idea.

4 Likes

So Iā€™m with Jeff here. Iā€™d argue that sites arenā€™t losing ā€œrealā€ users here. These are users who signed up two years ago, never created a single post, did not read more than 15 minutes worth of posts, and hasnā€™t been seen since. These users havenā€™t been emailed a digest in a year (assuming they didnā€™t unsubscribe earlier). These arenā€™t users. These are drive-by accounts that were never used.

Clean-up like this is not uncommon. If you sign up for a bank account, but never put money in and never visit the bank, your account will be closed. If you reach out to a doctorā€™s office, but never go in for an appointment, or even schedule one, youā€™ll be removed as a patient. Same idea here.

Sure, if you do not have backups, this data is not recoverable. However, what is the purpose for keeping this data? Discourse is storing this userā€™s email, encrypted/salted password, and the IP address they signed up from. Discourse might store the details that they read a topic or two, but not many as they havenā€™t read for 15 minutes. What do you need this data for? Discourse isnā€™t even emailing this user anymore, why keep information about them?

On the topic of release notes, we do our best to mention changes, but we canā€™t detail everything, everytime. Discourse development moves very quickly, and to write up details on every change would nearly be a full-time job. To that point, we say right at the top of the second post in every release notes (emphasis mine):

We do our best to highlight new features and changes for you, but thereā€™s always too many changes to detail. For a full list of new features, bug fixes, UX improvements, and more, be sure to review the Additional Features and Fixes listed below.

12 Likes