Discourse Doc Categories

I’m really sorry, I can’t find this icon on my interface. Can anyone help me with a more specific location?

When you visit one of the categories you can find the button at the top

2 Likes

thank you very much . and “no matches found” :face_exhaling:

Did you create an index topic in that category?

:laughing:
Thank you. It has appeared now. However, I still can’t understand the following instructions. Would it be convenient for you to explain with a picture?

What don’t you understand? Then explaining would be easier.

But headers and links are showing in the sidebar, nothing else. You can write something else and that will be visible if/when someone looks that post.

Links must be a list. And if you use pure link then title of that post will be used. If you use structure other name: link then that other name is shown.

That was the easy part. Creating that index is the hard task. If you have AI in use on that forum you can tell it to create the index, but OpenAI’s GPT-models have tendency create max 20-30 links.

I’m really sorry, because there’s nothing appearing on the left side.
I have already installed everything mentioned before. I’ve also checked that index, but nothing has changed.

1 Like

You need to open the category where you added the index. Here at Meta, you don’t see the docs when looking at /latest either. But when you visit Contributing, the sidebar shows the content which was specified in the index topic of that category

1 Like

I think I miscommunicated the meaning of “index”. What I meant was that I added the index here and completed the setup.

What is the content of your documentation index topic? Does it look similar to the ones here? As Jagster explained, you need a list with links to the topics you want to appear in the sidebar. Something like:

## Heading

* This text is shown in the sidebar: https://discourse.example.com/t/-/1
* This is a second topic: https://discourse.example.com/t/-/2

1 Like

Is there a way to change the icon used for a specific link? I dug into the code and it looks like this is hard-coded in at doc-category-sidebar-panel.js and getPrefixValue(). Is my reading of the code correct?

If this isn’t possible currently, is it planned for the roadmap?

1 Like

Second this, using emojis in the index would be easy and dynamic, and look very good, but I’d assume FontAwesome would be more in line with Discourse. I think emoji’s look somehow nicer and more inviting on docs.

1 Like

May I ask what this is and where it is maintained? I can’t find the specific location.

This is detailed primarily in the first post. Depending o. When you last viewed it. It may have been updated.