Discourse Gifs

For those willing to choose Tenor and don’t already have a (v1) key, the component won’t work as it uses the first version of the API, which is legacy. Delivered keys are now v2 and the endpoints have changed :

2 Likes

Tenor support was added by @merefield. Are you planning on updating it for 2.0?

2 Likes

Hi Falco, I’m not sure whether you mean Robert or me :sweat_smile: , as it makes a lot more sense Robert, I’m for sure not planning it (probably out of my depth to do it cleanly, but hey, I could try!)

2 Likes

This is a better link to describe the changes: How to migrate from Tenor's V1 API  |  Google Developers

I’m afraid I am on deadline for a project atm but happy to look at this soon if it remains outstanding.

3 Likes
FAILED
--------------------
[2022-09-02T18:17:29.927471 #1]  INFO -- : > cd /var/www/discourse && su discourse -c 'bundle exec rake themes:update assets:precompile'
ENOENT: no such file or directory, open '/var/www/discourse/plugins/discourse-gifs/plugin.rb'1

Is there a known issue with this component a the moment?

1 Like

Hi @Alon1 - it sounds like you’ve tried to install this theme component as a plugin in your app.yml file. This doesn’t work - you should remove the line from your app.yml file.

More context about why this only just started causing errors can be found in this post

4 Likes

Just requested a PR with the changes needed for Tenor V2. Tenor V1 credentials are compatible with V2, so this should hopefully not be a breaking change. I do not have a V1 credential to test, but I tested it with V2 and it works great for me.

My forked branch is open to others but please use it at your own risk.

4 Likes

Great, thank you! I’ve responded on Github.

2 Likes

Actually, having also tested this, I believe V1 key is not compatible and once this is merged users will need to register their site as a project on the Google Cloud Console and add the Tenor API, generate a key and update their settings:

https://console.cloud.google.com/apis/dashboard

But I don’t think that can be helped and moving to the new API is a very good idea.

2 Likes

I’ll look into adding a v1/v2 toggle to keep this from being a breaking change.

3 Likes

Although that will still be an upstream breaking change once the original API is decommissioned? I’d get a steer from team as to whether that’s necessary. It will give people more time though. Let’s discuss on the PR.

2 Likes

Thanks for the PR @tnoor-co!

Thinking about this, since Tenor V1 API keys are impossible to get now even maintaining this theme component Tenor V1 part will become a hassle, as a developer needs a working API to test it locally.

With that in mind I’d say we remove Tenor V1 from the component now. Admins using Tenor like @PaulinaMX can hold on the update and get a V2 API key before updating. We can also keep a tenor-v1 branch around for a while for people that need it.

What do you think @merefield ?

5 Likes

Agree.

Whilst keeping in mind that @tnoor-co has put a massive amount of effort in here (and I fear asking him to do more), my hunch tells me we should probably go for broke and remove V1 code entirely for the sake of keeping simplicity & clarity of settings and code in the main branch.

It just feels like a lot of complexity to avoid the inevitable :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Sounds good to me. I’ll push an update this week to remove v1 completely.

4 Likes

Tenor V1 support removed and Tenor V2 added thanks to @tnoor-co!

Season 9 Thank You GIF by The Office

6 Likes
4 Likes

Hey there, I can’t find this option. Can someone help me out here?

1 Like

It’s named download remote images to local in settings and it’s enabled by default.

2 Likes

Ah! Thank you so much, I thought it was going to be an option of the component itself! Much appreciated!

2 Likes

This Is Cool GIF by MOODMAN

1 Like