Gif icon not displaying and showing error

Hi everyone.

My GIF icon disappears anytime I set uploads to S3: enable s3 uploads. If I turn uploads to S3 off, the GIF icon reappears in the editor. I’d appreciate some help fixing this.

3 Likes

Hi everyone.

My GIF icon disappears anytime I set uploads to S3: enable s3 uploads. If I turn uploads to S3 off, the GIF icon reappears in the editor. I’d appreciate some help fixing this.

3 Likes

How do you pull the update in the theme component?

This is where I’m looking for an update. It’s updated. Am I look in the right place?

@bsawicki how did you fix this problem? I’m having the same issue.Will appreciate some help.

1 Like

The issue you’re having is seeing the wrong icon? You might want to rebuild your Discourse site if updating the component didn’t fix it. (Or… you can also try deleting the component and install it again.)

2 Likes

The issue I’m having is that the “GIF” icon doesn’t show at all when I change uploads to use Amazon S3. Rebuilding my site didn’t help. I just deleted and reinstalled the component, still no luck. This is how it appears, icon should be between the calendar and gear icon, but it’s empty, GIF still work though.

Screenshot 2021-11-14 at 18.33.56

My version of discourse is: 2.8.0.beta7 on DigitalOcean

1 Like

having this same issue, only it was working yesterday. I then added cdn+s3 uploads+cdn and it has stopped working. Everything else works properly, both cdn pulls work well. Using DO Spaces + Bunny CDN.
Tried clearing both cdn pulls’ cache, didn’t matter, the GIF svg doesn’t load properly.

2 Likes

I’ve got another site that’s doing something strange with svg on an S3 bucket. I haven’t figured out what’s going on, though.

2 Likes

The GIF text icon disappeared and after trying to delete and reinstall the component I’m getting this error.

Error with icons-sprite: #<TypeError: no implicit conversion of nil into String>

Button works but the GIF sprite is not visible.

2 Likes

Hi, is there any solution to this? @Falco

It’s weird to see that Meta has it’s GIF sprite in place. We are currently at 2.8.1 (stable) and yet to upgrade to 2.8.2, but the problem persists before that when we were at “latest”, around a month or so ago.

1 Like

Just letting everyone know that if you revert this whole commit, the icon gets back in place in the editor.

I now wonder why no more people report this bug and why isn’t it being reproduced here at meta?

We’re going to update to v2.8.3 +2 this week and I will double check if it’s compatible with current state of GitHub - discourse/discourse-gifs repository

1 Like

Unfortunately, the issue is not resolved in 2.8.3 too.

1 Like

Have you tried deleting the component and adding it again? maybe the old icon name is stuck somewhere. That commit you previously mentioned reverting only changed the name of the included icon, so it shouldn’t be something that relies on a certain Discourse version.

2 Likes

I just tried your advice, and that’s what I got at component page in admin (there was no such error before that):

Error with icons-sprite: #<TypeError: no implicit conversion of nil into String>

Screenshot

I took a note of this error, and proceeded to save my API key and no, it doesn’t fix the issue with composer icon.

1 Like

Are we the only one running into this problem? Anyone? For the past week, there were many changes introduced to main repo of this component by Discourse devs, but none of those solve the problems of:

• Missing GIF icon in composer
  • Error of “Error with icons-sprite: #<TypeError: no implicit conversion of nil into String>”
2 Likes

We use S3 storage if it matters at all…

1 Like

We actually see this error on the DiscoTOC component page as well:

The logs are saying:

DiscoTOC theme contains a corrupt svg upload : OpenURI::HTTPError : 403 Error

We tried by de-install & re-install it. Could it be a “simple” permission error on the server only?

1 Like

Hey @Jonathan_Poyer,

Were you able to resolve the issue by yourself? Why do you think the issue is related to filesystem permissions on the server?

1 Like

The logs seemed to point towards the upload.
We have since updated some chmod and updated to latest and it was magically solved!

2 Likes

why can’t I use the tenor and this appears?

2 Likes

We experience the same issue for months and have no “GIF” icon in our composer.

It was reported here:
https://meta.discourse.org/t/discourse-gifs/158738/214?u=kinetiksoft
and here:
https://meta.discourse.org/t/discourse-gifs/158738/211?u=kinetiksoft

But it seems like the problem affects very small amount of people and nobody can help identifying it…

We don’t even have the directory system tries to find SVG in.

1 Like