Discourse Gifs

Good idea. Added it in last version, please update!

8 Likes

This is awesome! Nice job, just got this added to my forum!

3 Likes

I think what you have is fixed by

Try updating to latest.

2 Likes

We are completely up to date and we’re still seeing a blank icon, both on desktop and on mobile

Edit: We’re hosted on Azure, FWIW. I can’t think of anything else that is different about our setup that would cause this.

2 Likes

Do you have a CDN fronting assets? Could you cache bust *.svg in there?

1 Like

We’re not using a CDN. Is there any way to check that we actually have the icon?

1 Like

@falco just merged a rename of the icon in the sprite, maybe that will fix the issue for you? Can you pull the update in the theme component and try it?

(Background is that we had a small caching problem in core that may have affected this.)

3 Likes

YES! That fixed it. Thank you so much!

3 Likes

Hey @Falco

is there any way to limit it to users with a specific trust level?

3 Likes

Limit the button in the composer visibility to some trust levels? Not at the moment but it should be a relatively simple change if you want to work on it.

7 Likes

Would it be too difficult to support Tenor for the gif format as default, and optionally Giphy for webp?

Love this TC, but want to avoid Facebook as much as possible. :frowning:

3 Likes

Limiting per trust level would be nice. Otherwise gifs only adds low level noise, but perhaps those who knows meaning of forum, aka. higher trust levels, may use gifs as should. Maybe.

2 Likes

If that is something you are keen working on, I’d accept it as a pull request.

2 Likes

Hi everyone.

My GIF icon disappears anytime I set uploads to S3: enable s3 uploads. If I turn uploads to S3 off, the GIF icon reappears in the editor. I’d appreciate some help fixing this.

3 Likes

Running into an issue with this - not sure source of problem:

No button in native app. Is there some cache that needs clearing? Some users say the button is there, others not.

1 Like

How do you pull the update in the theme component?

This is where I’m looking for an update. It’s updated. Am I look in the right place?

@bsawicki how did you fix this problem? I’m having the same issue.Will appreciate some help.

1 Like

The issue you’re having is seeing the wrong icon? You might want to rebuild your Discourse site if updating the component didn’t fix it. (Or… you can also try deleting the component and install it again.)

2 Likes

By native you mean the PWA or the DiscourseHub app from the Google Play Store?

1 Like

The play store app, afaik.

1 Like

So those users are in the ‘Desktop View’ in Discourse. They can click on the hamburguer menu and select ‘Mobile View’ in the last option there.

2 Likes