Discourse installation for beginners but are willing to be part of the community

I agree with you a 100% @merefield.

That’s really the key for especially opensource communities like ours.

1 Like

I agree to you but as I said:
1- I had a paid install already but willing to learn it, with some prior basic knowledge of command line.
2- So far I stuck at only, what comes before email and domain setup part.
3- Once I learn it with recent changes, I will certainly love to give back this community with a accurate and comprehensive documentation.

And eventually thank you so much for your consideration for taking out time to correct me where I needed to be.

2 Likes

Sure

btw, the pain and learning process you go through setting things up is critical to your ability to support your own install (that said, Discourse installs are, in general, very stable indeed).

Anyways, ask away on each problem you are having if you cannot find the solution via search or alternate resources like email services support etc. when appropriate.

4 Likes

Thanks I appreciate such kind gesture from community members :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

It would probably help if you’d follow them as written, rather than putting your own changes into the mix (e.g., using the DO console rather than ssh as instructed). I installed my own instance about six weeks ago, and my memory is that the instructions on that page worked just fine, though my VPS was with a different provider (I use Contabo, FWIW). A couple of points that might not be clear, though:

• It appears that Discourse expects to be run on a subdomain--community.yourdomain.com rather than yourdomain.com, for instance. That means you’ll need DNS records pointing that subdomain to your IP address. It also means that you’ll need to set up that subdomain with your mail provider (I’m using mailgun)
  • It doesn’t seem to work well behind Cloudflare. I use Cloudflare for DNS (which is free), but having their caching turned on for the Discourse instance broke things. For now, at least, I just turned of the caching and it’s working fine.

Beyond that, if you’re getting errors, what are they? If there’s an error in the docs, they can be fixed (I’m sure the devs would welcome pull requests), but “I end up with a error or another” really doesn’t help locate the problem.

2 Likes

Thank you for thinking of helping me out in this,
I am reached till here

Have I done it right till this?
What is this warning about in red outline?
Do I need to perform this too, in very last step of setup?

The line after the one you highlighted says to do nothing and it’ll create the required swap file. Just keep going.

I don’t know what told you to bootstrap. Discourse-setup does that for you.

1 Like

I found it here How to Install Discourse on Ubuntu 14.04 - Vultr.com
As nothing happened after given set of instructions here https://github.com/discourse/discourse/blob/master/docs/INSTALL-cloud.md

What do you mean that nothing happened? What was the output after you entered the questions? (hostname etc?)

1 Like

Generally speaking, it’s very hard to follow when someone is bouncing from one guide to another on the same topic–in the Vultr guide, pretty much nothing after the git clone command is correct. That’s to be expected–it’s almost five years old, and a lot has changed since then. I think it’s going to be much easier for you to follow the docs as written, asking questions as they arise. When they do arise, posting exactly what’s going on (and text copy/paste is much better than screen shots in this regard) is going to make it much easier to figure out what’s going on–things like “it doesn’t work” or “nothing happens” just don’t communicate much.

2 Likes

Does it

mean to run this command, “mkdir /var/discourse”?

I will be more precise next time, noted!
Thanks again :slightly_smiling_face:
I believe I am almost there just missing something, I did get success once, but just to mug it right I am trying one more time and this time messed up again.
I will post an update here very soon.

mean to run this command, “mkdir /var/discourse”?

Yes. This is where the instructions assume some basic knowledge of the Linux command line. And you should expect that to just return you to the shell prompt–Unix commands generally don’t return any output unless there’s an error. But you’ll see the directory created (ls /var if you want to see it).

1 Like

If you clone following the install guide, you don’t need to create the directory first. If memory serves, I made that change years ago.

1 Like

After the domain and email setup part, I am here

Is everything fine, or some error mentioned in the red outlined part?

If one do not create the directory and moves to next step we get this error!

Yes, it is. You don’t have a local copy of the image, so it’s downloading it. And please, don’t post screen shots for text–they take much longer to load, and sometimes don’t come up at all (particularly for folks with silly network restrictions). Instead, copy and paste the text in question.

Edit: When pasting in long command output (as with the screen shot you posted highlighting the “unable to find image” message), use preformatted text. You’d enter it like this:
…and it looks like this:

preformatted text

It preserves formatting that would otherwise be lost.

1 Like

Thanks, I will be up-to the community standards in very few time, I am learning fast.

I see the following error:

A connection to port 80 succeeds, however.
This suggests that your DNS settings are correct,
but something is keeping traffic to port 443 from getting to your server.
Check your networking configuration to see that connections to port 443 are allowed.

Google: "open ports YOUR CLOUD SERVICE" for information for resolving this problem.

You should probably answer "n" at the next prompt and disable Let's Encrypt.

This test might not work for all situations,
so if you can access Discourse at http://beta.example.com, you might try anyway.

Please guide. Advance thanks

The guide says: Google “open porst YOUR CLOUD SERVICE”

Did you do that? Who is your hosting provider?