I’m using Digital Ocean droplet to host Discourse(last version) with Nginx+Let’s Encrypt SSL in front.
Yesterday when I was working to enable LinkedIn OAuth login. I’d enabled
FORCE_HTTPS to try if it will make OAuth login work but I lost the ability to login from to all accounts. After I’d tried many advice’s from the community nothing worked. So I restored my previous droplet snapshot to my working copy.
Then I started by enabling
FORCE_HTTPS to test if anything will broke. Everything worked fine. So continued adding the plugins without any problem.
But still I had problem to make login with LinkedIn and Google to work. Following one advice to change Google client callback setup to http vs. https, and its worked. So I did the same for LinkedIn and I was keep trying.
To save myself from login and logout I was trying to sign-up with Google/LinkedIn/Twitter just to see the coming window if its error or not without creating the account (by closing the window of authentication) just After 3-4 times trying I noticed that I lost the complete login to Discourse from all the accounts!.
I’d tried the
site.com/users/admin-login and sent the email to 2 different Admin accounts but wasn’t useful. Discourse acting like everything is okay but instead of redirecting the user to its logged in page, it was always the same, the page where expecting you to login or to signup.
I’d tried to reset my admin password from the login window. Its working fine. The email sent to me to reset a new password. The link worked fine and Discourse asked me to enter my new password, accepted successfully and informed that I’m logged in and redirected me to page which i’m not logged in again.
Just for another try. I did created a new user, I’ve got the email to confirm and Discourse accepted my login but again redirect to not logged in page!. I even received the welcome email .
./launcher rebuild app and tried again. Nothing changed.
So it’s seems like there is something serious here. I’d tried to detail my steps to got this problem thinking that it may help the developers to guess its origin. I had no major changes to make Discourse lose control. I’m afraid that it may happen to any running Discourse instance and need immediate investigation.
I hope there is a solution for what I’m facing and I’ll be happy if anyone could share it in here!
If any question needed regarding my system with this issue, please ask now before I restore my droplet again